Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2001 08:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ross Stirton I have been reading PUWER '98: Open Learning Guidance, and must admit I'm now more confused than when I started! Specifically, the Reg 16 (Emergency stop controls) Case Study: Chemical Industry, refers to the failure of an emergency stop button controlling a heating system boiler. I would not previously have considered a boiler to be 'work equipment'. Is the message that all emergency stop controls are work equipment? Similarly, the Case Study for the Petrochemical Industry refers to markings on switches for process pumps on the panels in the Central Control Room as being work equipment. Can anyone offer any personal experiences about where (or if) there is any distinction between process plant and 'work equipment' as caught by PUWER? Or do I have to review my plant for PUWER assessments, over and above the HAZOPs/HAZIDS/ENVIDs that have been done to support COMAH.......
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 August 2001 16:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi PUWER 98--ACoP--defines "WORK EQUIPMENT" MEANS ANY MACHINERY, APPLIANCE, APPARATUS, TOOL OR INSTALLATION FOR USE AT WORK (WHETHER EXCLUSIVELY OR NOT); AND RELATED EXPRESSIONS SHALL BE CONSTRUED ACCORDINGLY. So it includes an "installation"--which most control sytems/panels will be. However, it is down to risk assessment whether there is a need for the emergency controls and id so, of what type.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 August 2001 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis You need to look carefully at regs 16 and 15 together. Emergency stops are needed if they prevent danger but not if the work equipment will come to a halt safely in some other way. This requires an assessment of the individual system. The control panel itself is part of the w.e. not w.e. in itself. The answer is yes there is a need to assess but I suspect most process items such as boilers, even domestic, have the necessary control through the flame failure devices and fuel shut off valves. Your other assessments already done must have touched this area if correctly completed Bob