Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2001 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
Can anyone offer any advice on where to find guidance on writing method statements? The only thing I can find is the one page in HS(G)150.

If anyone has some templates, that would be most useful,

Regards,

Nick
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 August 2001 14:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Webber
Hello,
A former collegue (Ian Dovey) and I developed the following format for the construction industry.

Method Statement Format

1. Details
Contract Name
Subcontract works to be undertaken
Company Name & Address

Name of Supervisor off site
Name of Supervisor on site responsible for health and safety
Number of operatives intended to undertake works
Start date on site
Anticipated completion date for works

2. Risk Assessment
List the significant risks which you have identified eg. Operatives and materials falling, Vehicle movements, Material handling, Noise, Vibration, COSHH, Fire, Collapse etc

3. Method of work
Describe how you intend to carry out the works taking into consideration the risks listed above. Set out your sequence of operations and determine whether your work will affect other workers or whether others will affect you. Remember to keep it simple and factual.
For certain high risk operations emergency procedures will need to be considered in case something goes wrong eg Rescue for harness wearers or from confined spaces etc.

4. Sketches
Wherever possible add simple sketches which will be easier to communicate to your workforce.

5. Equipment
Provide details of any work equipment which you are to provide eg Crane, Aluminium Towers, Dumpers, 360 Machines, Scissor Lifts etc.

6. Training
Provide evidence of training for operatives who will be working on site eg Plant operators, Mobile elevating work platforms, Aluminium Towers, Banksman/slinger etc.

7. Communication
Identify the person who will communicate the method statement to your workforce and when this will take place.

I hope that this is of use

Richard
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 August 2001 14:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Blair
My organisation has a basic template for preparing method statements (albeit for construction activities). If you contact me with your email address at :
andrew.blair@costain.com
I would be happy to send it on to you.
Regards
Andrew
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 August 2001 15:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
Many thanks for your help Gents.

Nick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2001 20:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Nick.

I have mailed you some info in SMS's

Hope it is of use.

regards...

Stuart Nagle