Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2001 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams I have been asked to find out if there is a minimum amount of space an operator should have to work in when operating machinery, a safe working area. The example I have been given is that of some one using a lath. Any advice would be welcome as the majority of my work covers the voluntary sector and offices and shops. I would welcome the opportunity to develop more skills in an industrial area but due to the economy round here don’t really have the chance so I’m looking for assistance. Thanks Ashley
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 August 2001 12:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Ashley The info you seek is in DfEE Building Bulletin 81 (HMSO ISBN 0 11 270917 6). If my memory serves me right it suggests a 1m clearance around such machinery with either a barrier or floor markings. The material is obviously intended for the Education sector but is IMO 'best guidance' for any workshop situation. BTW thanks again to all who helped me with my previous thread on this matter - Can you help Ashley with the exact wording? - (because my copy still has to materialise!!)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 August 2001 12:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Ashley, Regulation 10 of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regs 1992 contains requirements for Room Dimensions and space. Hope this helps, Nick
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 August 2001 12:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Ive decided the information im looking for must be set down in the factories act 1961. Could someone piont me in the direction of which section as I dont have a copy. Thanks Ashley Williams
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2001 13:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi A significant proportion of the Factories Act 1961 has been repealed by modern non-prescriptive legislation in the form of objective regulations. I very much doubt that there are ant explicit guidelines--it is all down to risk assessment -- in your case, you need to consider the manufacturers/suppliers instructions as different machinery may require a varying degrees of space/clearance for servicing/maintenence/operations. Then there may be requirements for movement of personnel, vehicles etc. Last buut not least, you will have to consider safe evacuation for emergencies--There are also standards for anthroprometrics in terms of ergonomics and spatial space requirements
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 August 2001 20:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Ashly. See the Ministry of Defence Functional Standard document; Spaces Requirements for Plant Access, Operation and Manintenance. ISBN0-11-772785-7 £20.00 regards... Stuart Nagle