Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2001 14:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Todd Hi, Does anyone know what qualifications/training are required to carry out phase contrast microscopy on suspected asbestos fibres. I am looking to become trained in this area. Cheers Rob
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 September 2001 14:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ross Stirton I did my training with a company called Casella....see following link: http://www.casella.co.uk...+in+bulk+samples&stage=3 Regards, Ross Stirton
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 September 2001 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston Check out the British Institute of Occupational Hygienists (BIOH) Certificates of Proficiency http://www.bioh.org/qualifications/certprof.htm Unfortunately the site no longer gives course dates and venues - you'll need to phone them PS While phase contrast microscopy is a valid technique for identifying asbestos fibres - it's not the most common one. (it is, however, essential for light microscopy counting of airborne asbestos fibres.) A combination of polarising light and dispersion staining is the more common means of identification - MDHS 77 Asbestos in Bulk Materials. Using phase Contrast in bulk analysis is a very neat trick to have up your sleeve - it's got me out of difficulties on a few occasions - the Casella course material I've seen (it was about 5 years ago) covered the technique well - better I think than its coverage in MDHS 77