Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2001 16:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Can anyone help with information regarding working in hot environments? I am trying to locate a UK standard for work/rest regime but can only find "American orientated" tables e.g. 75% work-25% rest for moderate work with a WBGT reading of 28 degrees C. BS EN 27243 for instance does not give as clear a guide as the example above. Can you help?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 September 2001 20:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Cooper Jim, There is a document published by PABIAC (paper federation) available from HSE books. It gives details of hot humid working conditions and gives a guide to best practice. I do not have further info with me, but if you contact me on 01254 203304 I can give you the ISBN nimber
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2001 05:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Jim. I can't quote you any particular Standard or Guidance. Firstly you say working in a Hot Environment. Are you just considering Weather in the Environment, or more specifically HIGH Temperature Processes and Plant that expose workpeople to Heat, (Radiant, Refracted, or otherwise) as they perform their work task coupled with the additional heat that they generate as they exert in performing there worktask? (Wearing sometimes very special PPE) It sounds from what you say that the American standard might be a good starting point. Just out of curiosity I typed in Hot Work safety in Industry and hit the search button and got some 2000plus references, many American and Canadian. (Probably as I am based in Asia my search engines target US influenced Search Engines rather than European ones) My current experince in Hot work is simply that I am currently based in Hong Kong and involved in Construction. We issue guidance on minimising exposure to Sun, Drinking lots of water, keeping outdoor workers and there tasks as sheltered and shaded as possible. For internal works we try to arrange Air Conditioning as early as possible in the evolution of the structure. Work periods allow regular rest and water breaks without being specified in time blocks. We have recently had daytime temperatures at 33 and 34degrees C and humidity of up to 97% Outputs obviously vary at such temperatures. Each individual is different and there outputs and there work rates are related to there diet, build and metabolisim. The local work peoples are used to and generally knowledgeable of these climatic conditions and generally know how to pace themselves and how to target Labour resource to tasks in relation to conditions, programme time and production requirements. We include and require our Contractors and their many tiers of Sub Contractors to consider and manage Heat Stroke and Hot Work conditions and to address these aspects of the Workplace in their Inductions and Tool Box Talks. In Construction activities in the UK in the past on work up against and around Live Blast Furnaces and Live steel production Plant and, in another case right up against a Drying Kiln in a Cement Works we have had workpeople dressed in appropriate Heat protecting and or Fire/Flame/Molten metal retardant PPE. They worked in one Steel industry case in blocks of 15 minutes activity 10 minutes rest with specified quantities of saline solution to be drunk per hour or work period. In each of these cases we consulted with the industry whose normal workplace it was as to what and how they worked and what protective measures they applied. We also liaised with EMAS, HSE's Employment Medical Advisory Service. We had Helath checks on our work personnel before they were exposed to the Hot Work conditions and areas. We also asked for Volunteers for parts of the work where the conditions were quite onerous although they were assesed and controlled. There may be an issue here and a need for you to clarify with Senior managers, Estimators and Planners and the like. If it is short term or intermittent work not usually carried on in your normal line of business, consideration will have to be given to the limitations imposed by the work. Labour costs versus outputs, the need for longer work programme time, the costs of PPE and Health care and refreshments etc. Some Disciplines have a problem of realistically looking at what a Human can reasonably be expected to do in terms of Work Output and Task Performence relative to the Work conditions and Environment and they need to have it clearly identified to them. No nasty surprises later, Programme over-runs, late delivery of the works, extra and unforseen costs etc etc. Also Talk to EMAS. If you are in the Sheffield area, Dr Frank GALLAGHER or some of his team at EMAS will I am sure be able to give you advice. They are extremely helpful people. If you know anyone in the Steel Industry, CORUS, (Used to be British Steel) they will help as Blast Furnace and Hot Metal process Hearth and Foundry workers all have exposure to Hot Working Environments. They have special Fire/Flame retardant clothing, and working guidelines for body fluid replacement and body salt intake. The Steel Industry also have there in - house Medical Departments who I am sure will also be able to help. Hope this is of some help. Regards. Ken Urquhart
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2001 19:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Lusby Jim, Try HS(G)194 -Thermal comfort in the workplace. Regards Nigel.