Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2001 19:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Telecom PTO I would appreciate any guidence with the following CDM queries: 1. Can a construction project notifiable under CDM with 1 client, 1 planning supervisor & 1 designer have 4 principle contractors nominated under the same project plan or should the responsibility be for 1 only to manage the overall construction phase of the project with the others as contractors. 2. If works are carried out under one client project(allocated budget) but at 12 different UK sites of works that some sites only take 1 day to 14 days etc, should each site be notifiable on its own merits or should it definately be notified as one project even if it is for different site working on a per site issue of work over a period of time.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2001 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian J Sutherland My understanding is that: 1. There can be only one Principal Contractor per project. 2. Without more info on work activities, numbers on site etc one cannot be given a useful answer. So, the concept of one notification for multiple sites would be dependent on what works were been carried out, applicability of enviromental risk assessments, pre-tender plans, who was carrying out the work and the concept of making things simple for oneself!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 September 2001 14:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch CDM very flexible as (a) Intepretation Act says that the singular can mean the plural. (b) Definition of "project" in CDM allows flexible interpretation. We have telecomms (and other) clients who treat scattered sites as single project. Also telecoms clients with multiple Principal Contractors, eg with one passing on the baton as they move on to the next location. eg Civils contractor then Cable contractor then Activation contractor The art is to manage any interfaces. There are 100 ways of killing a cat! If you would like to discuss please ring me on 0141 566 8389 or 07786 021 156 Regards, Peter
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 September 2001 12:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis I totally agree with Peter. The real problem is when a client wants two PCs or more on one project and one site at the same time. Yes it does happen!!!! The guidance for repetitive small operations allows the either way decision but I think that sometimes we move heaven and earth to avoid notification. I have to ask why? What is being played down. My approach is to notify as a whole and provide the HSE with ongoing programme information if requested Bob