Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2001 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dawn Ingham The offices I currently work in are in a listed building. There are three floors at angles to each other connected by stairs at different points. There are adequate fire doors and a good fire alarm system. My problem is finding the best method of maintaining a roll call list. We currently operate a TrackIt Board which, whilst providing the Receptionist with details of who is in (if staff use the board correctly that is!), the IN/OUT labels slide when the board is removed from the wall, which is no use in a drill. Previous employers have utilised signing in books for employees and visitors and a card system (at a cost of £20K!). Again, these had their merits but were fairly weak. Does anyone have any ideas or tried and tested methods please?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2001 14:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods I have worked as a contractor for some very large companies and the best system I have come across is the clock card one. This is not popular with workers or contractors who are wanting to {how do you put this politely] add an extra hour to a job. As long as the cards are never used as a tool to dicipline people for this sort of offence [use the cctv evidence instead] then people soon accept them. If the above is done by a swipe card system which is kept on the person then I can see the weakness, but if the cards are swiped and left in a holder which can be eaisily lifted from the wall like a traditional paper clock card then there should be no problem unless the system is inadequately supervised. Give this job to a good security guard and there will be no problems.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 September 2001 16:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Broomfield We have about 60 people in our offices and employ a “T” Card system in one of two racks, one for “In” and one for “Out”. This involves each employee (or regular visitors) moving a small “T” shaped card from the slot in one rack to the other, when they enter or leave the building. If we have a drill or an alarm the Marshal unhooks the “In” racks from the wall and carries them outside. Then as each person is checked at the assembly point the card is reversed in the slot. Hopefully there are no names visible after a few minutes. It is a simple system but effective and often used at industrial sites and offshore locations.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 September 2001 16:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi Is the purpose to ensure that everybody has been evacuated in case of a fire?--and informing of the status to the fire brigade personnel--that is the first thing they want to know in case of real fires. An effective fail-safe sytem is to complement any rollcall system with team of fire-wardens who would physically ensure that ALL areas under their jurisdiction have been evacuated and report tthis to the Fire Safety manager/co-ordinator.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 September 2001 18:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roger K. Bentley We discuss such matters in the IOSH CPD courses on emergency planning (see pages 44 & 46 of guide). There is not one solution for all situations, and it depends what level of security/access control is appropriate. Swipe cards used to operate access doors can automatically record on a computer who is in the building, and a printout can be obtained when required.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 September 2001 11:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jayne Freeman I set up a roll call system, whereby each department had a form listing the names of all those in that particular department. We split this into 16 areas, covering some 180 employees. Opposite each name had 5 boxes representing the week days. Someone was then made responsible for completing the form each day and for maintaining it throughout that day. When evacuation procedures were initiated, the person responsible would take the roll call form and report to the warden in charge. At a glance they would be able to see who was in or out of the building. This also provided a written record for any visiting Inspectors or Fire Officers. This system has worked well for the company, but it does depend on the competency of the nominated person completing the forms.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 September 2001 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Dear all, I feel that there are a lot of systems out there, some will obviously work well for one company and not for another. I personally feel that both ideas are good ones and when time allows will adapt our system. Jayne, how do you get around factory staff who must clock in etc and who leave more the site a number of times. I would appreciate a copy of your form. We have over 500 staff. 50 office based for whom the T card system would work but another 450 who must "clock on" our current system for them is to complete registers at the start of the shift. This does not allow for leaving the site and returning the same day. You would need the register and clock cards which is not practical for 450 + persons. What do the other SME's out there do?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 14 September 2001 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Huber I am about to open a can of worms and say something really radical. I have had personal experience of fire in large building. I do not believe there are any roll call systems, etc that are worth the time spend developing them. They are great for fire drills, give a nice comfortable feeling that you have everything under control. In a real fire however, there are a number of significant problems: 1) The time taken to carry out the process is prohibitive, think back to Tuesday this week, how effective would a roll call have been? 2) Card swipe systems are ok but it will take time to print out a full listing for a large office about ten minutes per thousand people. Then you have to do something with the data, at least another hour. So you discover that there may be someone left in the smoldering rubble, if (and it's a big if) they followed the access control procedures in the first place. Many high tech companies have their visitors swiped in by staff or security, this also happens with employees who have forgotten their cards. As for visitor books can you guarantee that ALL visitors sign out? 3) The T card system is simple (that is good) but it is only practicable for relatively small numbers. And again it relies heavily on people complying with the rules. 4) What is the purpose of fire wardens? They will search the sections of the building where there are no fires. They cannot go into the area where the fire is. So what use are they, all you will be able to tell the rescue services is that in the safe areas there are no people but you don't know about the area close to the fire. The point I am trying to get across is that the planning must be for a real fire not a drill. In a real fire unless you can be 100% certain that there is no one in the building then you must assume that there may be. All methods for checking people are not fail safe and they all have significant weaknesses. You will never be able to use one of these systems to be 100% certain in anything other than very small buildings. I believe that the time should be spent on instilling strict adherence to fire evacuation, with strict discipline for those who ignore alarms. I suppose you could install a sophisticated computerised sytem that would monitor people in all parts of the building but even then I would guarantee that an employee would find a way around the system. Simple is best: On hearing the alarm leave the building. (sack anyone that doesn't) All other measures are unnecessary and don't work. Please let this open up a debate on the subject, I would love to be enlightened. Paul
Admin  
#9 Posted : 14 September 2001 17:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi The Fire Warden system to physically check can include real fires etc and if areas have not been accesible or there is not 100 % certainity that everyone has been evacuated, then that information needs to be relayed to the Emergency Services. That why a combination of a simple "attendence" /Roll Call list and a physical check will suffice. Again, in most cases we anticipate manageable scenarios--not catastrophic events. In case of catastrophic events such as Tuesday, the best of the systems can be rendered inoperable unless one introduces a number of redundant recording systems in remote locations--but it's use will only assist in establishing a more accurate number of casualties--not in what the emergency services need to know when they arrive at site--i.e. Is there anyone trapped/Has everybody been accounted for etc.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 17 September 2001 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Huber That is my point exactly. Can you be 100% certain that the information you collect from fire wardens is correct? Is your building really empty and are you sure. If not then the best you can do is guess. No body could have planned for the events of last Tuesday, however I know there were a number of fundamental mistakes made in the evacuation of those buildings because of confusion over what to do. (I have several hundred colleagues who worked in the South Tower). Emergency plans should be able to deal with the worse case scenario or at least the worst probable event. When dealing with fire this means total loss of the property. Don't fall into the trap of developing your procedures to deal with fire drills and false alarms, they are of little importance. Practice for a real fire where you have a few minutes from alarm (if it is sounded) to serious fire. Often in real fires alarms are not activated due to a panic response. What is important is that people leave the building and get to a place of safety as quickly as possible. It does not really matter if they then go home as long as they are out. I have worked in several large offices that have all used fire wardens. Apart from the nightmare of trying to maintain coverage for all areas I have never evacuated a building and got all the reports and information in less than 10 to 15 minutes. Seven minutes after one alarm the building was completely ablaze. My point is that you haven't got time for all this sophistication. In that event all we could tell the fire fighters was that we thought everyone was out (fortunately they were).
Admin  
#11 Posted : 17 September 2001 11:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Any system which relies on people booking in and out, by whatever method, is useless if only one person forgets on only one occasion. I once worked in a nuclear installation where as you can imagine access and egress were pretty strictly controlled. However, I still once found myself in a local shop still wearing my tag. Had there been a fire I would have been reported as still inside, and firepeople would have risked their lives looking for me. Fllor Wardens/Marshalls are the most practical solution, but still not foolproof Richard
Admin  
#12 Posted : 23 September 2001 12:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Davies Guys, I'm a freelance trainer visiting many varied orgs, the majority have access control, security, and some wonderful expensive systems that are technically superb. About 70 to 90% of the time I can get in without signing or clocking in, this is no big secret. Whatever you come up with for goodness sake train effectively for it and strictly enforce it. And keep it simple for those having to think in times of real emergency. Tim