Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2001 20:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Bridgehouse Does anyone have any information regarding the siting of a MPTM on the roof of an office building? We are due to install one on one of our offices and the staff are rightly concerned regarding RF radiation. Is it safer(?) to work underneath one (on roof) or have one mounted on a roof opposite to where you work. I cannot find any real evidence to make a conclusive decision.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2001 07:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack I’m not sure you will find 'conclusive evidence'; you will have to make a decision on the information available and I would suggest the best starting point is the Stewart Report: http://www.iegmp.org.uk/IEGMPtxt.htm The NRPB website is also useful. They have recently reorganised their site and the specific info on base stations does not seem to be their anymore. However, worth a look: http://www.nrpb.org.uk/ There is lots of information on radiation intensity in the vicinity of a mast and installers should provide information on beam characteristics (where the ‘beam’ reaches the ground etc). I seem to recall that when the NRPB carried out surveys of schools they found higher levels in some schools without a mast than in some with one.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2001 08:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods If you give me an address i'll post on some information on the sighting of telecommunications masts. Robert Woods.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 September 2001 09:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson The NRPB website is particularly useful, and they do some free leaflets which you can order online. There was a recent article on new research into this in "Health and Safety at Work" Magazine. Nick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 September 2001 13:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods I don't think you can possibly have seen these there PCS/BA documents and were until very recently for Reps and Managers eyes only. The info stopped them putting them on several buildings in which my colleague worked. Robert Woods
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 September 2001 13:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede I understood that the closer you are to the mast the lower the radiation from your handset. I wonder what poses the greater risk?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 September 2001 18:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Delilah The nearer you are to the mast the less the radiation from your handset???
Admin  
#8 Posted : 13 September 2001 08:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede Yes Delilah, the closer you are to a mast the less powerful is your handsets signal to connect to it, therefore lowering the radiation passing through your body!
Admin  
#9 Posted : 13 September 2001 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nancy Lett Thanks Robert. Please send the information to; stephen.bridgehouse@rochdale.gov.uk. If you need my home address please call me on; 01706-86-5640 (work) 8.30 - 4.30