Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
firesafety101  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2010 13:43:10(UTC)
firesafety101

Is there any HSE guidance, or best practice, on skip safety especially regarding fencing off and signage? Thanks.
Heather Collins  
#2 Posted : 24 February 2010 14:17:05(UTC)
Heather Collins

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/waste06.pdf http://www.direct.gov.uk...WorkYourself/DG_10030945 Plus a number of links from this page http://www.hse.gov.uk/waste/index.htm In fact if you do a Google search for "skip safety" there's quite a lot, much of it from skip hire companies.
firesafety101  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2010 15:05:17(UTC)
firesafety101

Heather thanks but I think you've done the same search I did. What I'm looking for exactly is something that states "skips must be fenced off with adequate safety signs in place", or to that effect.
Heather Collins  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2010 15:09:49(UTC)
Heather Collins

Where is the skip - private property or public road? What type and size of skip? How often is access required and by who? - i.e. access required all the time and on a public amenity site or access required once a week and in a secure compound. Dare I say there are no absolute rules - it depends on risk assessment.... ;)
firesafety101  
#5 Posted : 24 February 2010 15:14:38(UTC)
firesafety101

Contractor's skip rear of site in a compound available to a number of shop units, sometimes accessed by members of the public - kids, gypsies etc. A agree risk assessment but - as you are well aware - everyone has their own ideas about risk assessment. I'm looking for something either in Regulations or recommendations by HSE. Can't find anything myself.
barnaby  
#6 Posted : 24 February 2010 15:42:20(UTC)

I think it is highly unlikely you'll find prescriptive regulations or even guidance. If your assessment identifies risks to members of the public then clearly you need to consider how to minimise them. As a first step I would suggest you consider recommending the use of enclosed skips.
firesafety101  
#7 Posted : 24 February 2010 15:53:00(UTC)
firesafety101

Thanks barnaby I think you are correct, if you can't find it here it doesn't exist. I think enclosed skips are a good idea but perhaps a little expensive for a contractor that has to keep all costs to a minimum. I'd like to see some defined rules for securing skips.
grim72  
#8 Posted : 24 February 2010 16:15:42(UTC)
grim72

You may need to look at Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual. Appendix 4.1 Specification for Builders Skips states that markings should be in accordance with the Builders Skips (Markings) Regulations 1984 (SI 1984 No.1933). The container should be clearly and permanently marked with the owners name and tel or address. The container should not exceed 5m in length by 2m in width.
barnaby  
#9 Posted : 24 February 2010 16:19:51(UTC)

grim72 wrote:
You may need to look at Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual. Appendix 4.1 Specification for Builders Skips states that markings should be in accordance with the Builders Skips (Markings) Regulations 1984 (SI 1984 No.1933). The container should be clearly and permanently marked with the owners name and tel or address. The container should not exceed 5m in length by 2m in width.
I think it's in a compound, not on the highway.
118ncg  
#10 Posted : 24 February 2010 16:35:27(UTC)
118ncg

You may have to inform the local council. If on the highway
xRockape  
#11 Posted : 24 February 2010 20:15:33(UTC)
xRockape

I cant remember the exact details, but believe the fire in Dover that occurred at a large DIY store (Dont thinhk i can mention the company by name). Causing millions of pound worth of damage and resulted in the store being rebuilt. Was caused by kids starting a fire in a skip placed next to the store, I would therefore make sure you consider this in your RA and controls.