Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Elfin  
#1 Posted : 10 August 2012 15:13:45(UTC)
Elfin

Hi I have been asked to do a risk assessment for security dogs, although I have a good idea of what I need to cover, has anyone done something like this before - I just don't want to miss something important out. Many thanks Elfin
A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 10 August 2012 15:21:46(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Are dogs employees? Sorry It's Friday and i could not resist
Peter_OC  
#3 Posted : 10 August 2012 15:25:33(UTC)
Peter_OC

once had a claim come in at a previous employer from a dog owner claiming for dog behaviour rehabilitation costs as his dog was hit by an A frame (advertising board on a street) in the windy weather. The solicitor was greeted with a friendly letter asking for a statement of the poor pooch
Elfin  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2012 15:33:27(UTC)
Elfin

Maybe I should have been more specific, a risk assessment for using security dogs - for example members of the public being near to them and the risks involved; if a dog enters an environment where it could become injured, from needles etc. As I said I think I have all angles covered, just wondered if anyone else had done one. And in answer to your question, I think in this sort of case they should be considered employees
Lisa Boulton  
#5 Posted : 10 August 2012 16:06:04(UTC)
Lisa Boulton

The RA on the dog side should include dog welfare issues such as heat (not leaving in vehicles) cold, wet (do they need coats and high vis) water/food, emergencies and dog first aid, where are the dogs expected to go? You may need to look at whether confined/dark places are appropriate, as you say needles and sharps. Will noisy environments be an issue? Safe transportation. Will they be let off the lead, training and obedience may be required. Where are the dogs kennelled? Emergency vet contacts. Procedures if the handler falls ill and who will care for the dog during sickness absence or holidays, On the human side dog bites, allergies, training of the person in dog handling etc. Lone working, emergencies including car accidents. Sorry just a quick reply, if I think of anything else I will add to the post. Regards Lisa (also talk to the dog handler they should be able to offer some insight)
bilbo  
#6 Posted : 10 August 2012 16:06:24(UTC)
bilbo

Elfin - I vaguely remember some guidance that I used when we had an issue when some of our disused properties were being used by the police for training their dogs - but can't find it now. Have you tried contacting the dog section in your local police force they may be able to help.
ExDeeps  
#7 Posted : 10 August 2012 18:49:26(UTC)
ExDeeps

Elfin, Not really answering your Q directly, but I do have a security contractor who supplies a dog patrol to my site. So, things to consider; "rules of Engagement" - who and how to issue a challenge and when to release the dog ( for the dogs / handlers safety ) Why do you need a dog? What is the threat Ensure others on site know when the dog is on site Emergency procedures - consider alternative evac point for dog & handler Where can the dog patrol ( and why ) and where can the dog not patrol ( and why ) Managing dog poo..... Handler properly accredited as a security professional I strongly suggest a security dog should only be supplied by a competent, licenced, fully vetted security company - who will be able to advise on all issues. Don't employ a man and a dog outfit Finally, I see we are in the same Area, pm me if you would like a recommendation for a good company, Jim
ExDeeps  
#8 Posted : 10 August 2012 19:01:21(UTC)
ExDeeps

Oh, perimeter signage so the general public know they may encounter a land shark if they decide to take a shortcut home I know, it's not a land shark BUT the point is it might be..... And also those who are not general public taking an innocent shortcut, And adventurous children. A visible dog patrol will be discussed in the local pubs within minutes of it first happening - be prepared to be noticed by all and sundry, good, bad and just plain nosy Jim
EamonM  
#9 Posted : 10 August 2012 22:39:28(UTC)
EamonM

If transporting the dog in a vehicle look at the access to the dogs transportation cage - I assessed a new vehicle (four wheel drive with a split door - top half opened up , bottom opened down) supplied to the dog handlers and found that a chequered plate had been fixed to the drop down door and was catching the dogs paw as it was jumping into the vehicle. The plate was removed and replaced with fibreglass removing the hazard. Another thing to be mindful of is the effect of the dog's barking on the handlers hearing when transporting the dog in a vehicle - Irish case Garda successfully sued the Commissioner, the Minister for justice and the state for hearing loss in 2008. ie.vlex.com/vid/donnolly-commissioner-garda-siochana-68725982
EamonM  
#10 Posted : 11 August 2012 13:51:47(UTC)
EamonM

A Kurdziel wrote:
Are dogs employees? Sorry It's Friday and i could not resist
Dogs upkeep (food and Veterinary bills and tagging) paid for by the company with purpose built kennels provided on the site then in my opinion yes the dogs are employed to fulfil a security function. Whether they are employees or not in a moot point.