Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Linda L  
#1 Posted : 01 May 2015 14:14:19(UTC)
Linda L

Does anyone have a template for a simple risk profile that they are willing to share. I have access to a version based on failure mode effect analysis but it is very complicated to use. Is there a way to merge risks identified during the proactive risk assessment process and those identified as a result of reactive incidents I wonder?
A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 01 May 2015 14:21:15(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Quote=Ley45699]Does anyone have a template for a simple risk profile that they are willing to share. I have access to a version based on failure mode effect analysis but it is very complicated to use. Is there a way to merge risks identified during the proactive risk assessment process and those identified as a result of reactive incidents I wonder?
Sorry I feel very old as I don't understand a word of this! What's a risk profile? What is the difference between a"proactive risk assessment" and "those identified as a result of reactive incidents"? Is this in the diploma curriculum now ?
DP  
#3 Posted : 01 May 2015 14:35:05(UTC)
DP

Hi, I do but it's not a simple one. I've used risk profiling for years and in a retail environments it's perfect. I note your in retail. Pm me and ill see if I can help you.
malcarleton  
#4 Posted : 01 May 2015 14:57:21(UTC)
malcarleton

Got to admit, I didn't understand the original post either, but if any of you could explain it i'd be interested to know what it refers to
PIKEMAN  
#5 Posted : 01 May 2015 15:19:17(UTC)
PIKEMAN

Not sure about a "risk profile" But the difference between proactive risk assessment and reactive risk assessment??? What is not understandable about that? Simples!
A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 01 May 2015 15:42:58(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Pikeman wrote:
Not sure about a "risk profile" But the difference between proactive risk assessment and reactive risk assessment??? What is not understandable about that? Simples!
I understand the difference on a linguistic level between a "proactive risk assessment" and "those identified as a result of reactive incidents"? What is the difference at the user level; how would a risk assessment following on from an incident differ from one that was the result of a proactive process other them in a particular workplace you might use a different proforma? This original poster must have a reason why he wants to “merge” them.
PIKEMAN  
#7 Posted : 01 May 2015 15:57:47(UTC)
PIKEMAN

There would be no difference - in the process. The only difference would be when it was done.
chris42  
#8 Posted : 01 May 2015 16:12:15(UTC)
chris42

But when you do the reactive risk assessment you would just update the original with the additional information ( unless there was no original, so just new). No merging just the risk assessment. Do you mean where you identify risk levels before controls ( or with existing controls), then record the risk level following control measures ( or additional control) which should have reduced the risk, all being recorded in one line? Perhaps you should clarify with and example of your issue. Chris
A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 01 May 2015 16:31:24(UTC)
A Kurdziel

So in plain English, you do a risk assessment ‘cos you think that there may be an issue (so it’s proactive) but nothing bad has actually happened. But if something happens (and it’s bad or has the potential to be bad-what some folks call a near miss) you react by (old fashioned words here) reviewing the existing assessment. Gosh, I have been doing it right for the past 15years after all; phew! I still don’t know what a risk profile is…
Sunstone  
#10 Posted : 01 May 2015 16:40:45(UTC)
Scotty C

For what its worth my organisation takes a very straight forward approach to it's Risk Profile: - the top 12 significant risks identified/prioritised (based on existing knowledge, HSE interventions, reputational & quality issues) - the known associated costs (one off and on-going) involved with managing these effectively - a small description of what would happen if things went south and - an annual (or more frequent if needed) review of the effectiveness of the controls. Our is a high level document agreed with the Board & shared across all areas of the organisation
NDavidson  
#11 Posted : 03 May 2015 10:49:12(UTC)
NDavidson

I will PM you a good online collaborative risk assessment tool that I used in a previous company I worked for. Very user-friendly and gave some aggregated info on risk profile based on hazard categories identified throughout the business.
A Kurdziel  
#12 Posted : 05 May 2015 11:19:06(UTC)
A Kurdziel

So the risk profile is the information captured on a risk register! I understand the original posting now. As for the original question-would not the nature of the risk profile depend on the nature of the business? A risk profile for a large retail business would be very different for a set of labs in a university
Linda L  
#13 Posted : 07 May 2015 08:55:01(UTC)
Linda L

Hi All Thank you for your replies - sorry about the confusion I seem to have caused. From reading the replies, I think SunStone has clarified it further for me. It is intended as a high level exercise based on factual information. A prompt for this exercise is the British Safety Council 5* Health & Safety Audit which talks about risk profiling and risk/hazard matrices. Thanks everyone.