Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andy Adams  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2016 22:11:00(UTC)
Andy Adams

I have a client who is considering installing rapid roller shutter doors and he has asked if there has been any health and safety issues surrounding these doors. I am not aware of any, but I know out there in the field of my fellow H&S professionals someone may enlighten me to any concerns I need to notify my client about. Thank you in advance
Thomas Baxter  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2016 11:33:33(UTC)
Thomas Baxter

Andy, I would suggest they should have bottom edge sensor and infra red beams as a minimum to detect personnel. They can be designed to suit the type and frequency of traffic with radar detection, magnetic induction loops, radio control, wall mounted push buttons and so on. If you have a proximity sensor fitted to a door frame the door will stop its downward travel and retract when the beam is broken. There have been numerous cases of personnel being injured by roller shutter doors for whatever reason. You may also want to consider eliminating hand or foot holds on the doors to stop people being lifted by or travelling on the door. Regards, Thom
jwk  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2016 11:56:05(UTC)
jwk

Hi Andy, Have to agree with Thom, we had a minor incident with one of these that could have been much worse, so all our shutters now have IR trips across the doorway; anything breaks the beam the door stops moving. But as Thom says there are many different technical solutions, what works best for your situation should be decided by risk assessment, John
JohnW  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2016 14:10:01(UTC)
JohnW

Andy, There are types of roller shutter doors also fitted with a rapid plastic shutter - so during the day only the lightweight plastic shutter needs to go up and down, and the actual metal shutter is only closed at night. My main customer has six of these rollers doors, and a lot of FLT traffic. Each entrance also has a 'wicket door' to the side for pedestrian entrance so they normally don't need to walk under the shutter - but they sometimes do if they are pulling a pump truck load, so a manual operation option is needed. Devices fitted: Person sensor at knee height Metal truck detector (in-floor magnetic device) Impact sensor They need maintenance. The motor, or if the roller gets stuck, are accessed using a mewp and WAH-trained fitters.
Jimothy999  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2016 16:43:12(UTC)
Jimothy999

We have a very rapid set of roller doors on one of our entrances here. No real issues found and very handy for keeping the heat in. We have the side opening version that strike me as being a bit better as even if you do get caught by them the sensors reverse the door immediately and it hits the side of you rather than your head. You have to almost try to get hit by them though as they have sensors that reverse the close if you approach them.
Andy Adams  
#6 Posted : 18 March 2016 22:33:02(UTC)
Andy Adams

Thanks to all the replies it is very much appreciated.
Bigmac1  
#7 Posted : 19 March 2016 10:41:28(UTC)
Bigmac1

Also to add, don't forget about competent person to maintain/inspect
Adams29600  
#8 Posted : 24 March 2016 16:01:44(UTC)
Adams29600

I have no details at the moment, but I have just been made aware of a fatality involving such a door and a contractor operating a cherry picker in Belgium. If I find out anything further, I will post.
Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 31 March 2021 09:17:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported as advertising
thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 31/03/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 31/03/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 31 March 2021 09:17:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported as advertising
thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 31/03/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 31/03/2021(UTC)