Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Helene38  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2018 20:14:51(UTC)
Helene38

Hello everyone, 

I am looking for my first job in Health and Safety, could anyone guide me where to start?

I am just about to sit my tests for the Nebosh General Occupationnal Certificate in Health and Safety, in few days.

Any advice will be welcome, thank you.  

WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 30 November 2018 10:11:36(UTC)
WatsonD

Firstly, Good louck with your exams.

I would consider what sector you want to work in. Ideally, but not exhaustively, this would be the sector you have the most experience in. Often H&S practioners come from a initial career, say and engineer or construction worker. This gives them a great insight into the industry from the ground-up and is sought after by employers.

If you don't have much work experience in a particular sector then focus on what transferable skills you do have on your CV. And get your CV right too. Other than that, theres a tab at the top of this page to look for jobs in your area.

thanks 2 users thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
paul.skyrme on 30/11/2018(UTC), Helene38 on 30/11/2018(UTC)
Helene38  
#3 Posted : 30 November 2018 23:31:02(UTC)
Helene38

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post

Firstly, Good louck with your exams.

I would consider what sector you want to work in. Ideally, but not exhaustively, this would be the sector you have the most experience in. Often H&S practioners come from a initial career, say and engineer or construction worker. This gives them a great insight into the industry from the ground-up and is sought after by employers.

If you don't have much work experience in a particular sector then focus on what transferable skills you do have on your CV. And get your CV right too. Other than that, theres a tab at the top of this page to look for jobs in your area.

Thank you for bext wishes for my exams ... lets hope for the best 

Well I have a back ground in catering and hospitality sector and recently retail sector, so you would say that I would need to start by becoming health and safety professional in those sectors???

How hard would it be to become health and safety professional in another sector ??? 

What is the entry level for health and safety professional??? meaning advisor first ???? 

Sorry it's seems to be many questions that i am asking you, but i just want to get started in my new career. 

I guess I  am impatient !!! I will have a look at the tab well that is if I can find it. 

WatsonD  
#4 Posted : 03 December 2018 10:04:43(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: Helene38 Go to Quoted Post

Thank you for bext wishes for my exams ... lets hope for the best 

1. Well I have a back ground in catering and hospitality sector and recently retail sector, so you would say that I would need to start by becoming health and safety professional in those sectors???

2. How hard would it be to become health and safety professional in another sector ??? 

3. What is the entry level for health and safety professional??? meaning advisor first ???? 

Sorry it's seems to be many questions that i am asking you, but i just want to get started in my new career. 

I guess I  am impatient !!! I will have a look at the tab well that is if I can find it.

1. This would be a good place to start as you already know the sector and understand the risk, hazards and general culture of this industry.

2. Depends on what sector. If it was offshore, manufacturing, construction for example then I don't think you would stand much chance as you would be competing against other from those backgrounds. You would really need to show you could offer something special. Other sectors you may find more accommodating as the risks and hazards are - dare I say - more universal.

3. Again it depends on what level of practitioner the job role states and the employer requires. Hence why I suggests looking at the jobs on offer. An advisor is not entry level. Job titles can be misleading and the cause of a lot of debate on here. At the end of the day the job title is chosen by the employer based on other roles within their organisational set-up so its not a given. To see what level is is at look to the job spec and salary alongside the person requirements.

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
Helene38 on 10/12/2018(UTC)
jodieclark1510  
#5 Posted : 03 December 2018 16:41:23(UTC)
jodieclark1510

There are also a number of split roles that can be great. My first role was Operations PA/ Health and Safety Admin, it quickly developed more into an advisory role ( my boss didn't like having a PA- I was maternity cover, and I was much more into the Health and Safety side of things so he let me get on with it). Also, when it comes to looking for work, sell the transferable skills you have, and don't be scared to say you don't have experience/ don't have alot of it, its a strong feauture being able to show that you know where your knowledge lies.

Best of luck with the exams and going forward, the forum is a great place for support and information.

thanks 1 user thanked jodieclark1510 for this useful post.
Kate  
#6 Posted : 04 December 2018 15:45:44(UTC)
Kate

Jodie makes a good point - my first H&S job was also a split one (Technologist / Safety Coordinator) - the technology concerned being what I had a background in.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
nicholaish  
#7 Posted : 07 December 2018 11:24:09(UTC)
nicholaish

My first job was straight out of university with a health and safety degree, i had a placement in my 3rd year in an environmental health department. I found it quite easy to find a basic first health and safety job when i graduated, i was covering maternity leave for a health, safety and environmental co-ordinator in a hospital, which gave me more experience to get a job in another sector, which i work in now - education.

I dont think you need to limit yourself to one sector, or one that you have exeprience in. As in my expeirence health and safety skills/knowledge can be applied to most sectors, and you can learn things as you go along, or gain knowledge from training or asking other in your department - nothing wrong with not knowing something, just ask for help :) Everyone has to start somewhere. 

Hope your search goes well!

thanks 1 user thanked nicholaish for this useful post.