Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark-W  
#1 Posted : 22 November 2018 15:39:01(UTC)
Mark-W

With my redundancy pending they have finaly managed to advertise my job. I am currently the H&S Co-Ordinater working 2 days a week. The role is now going fulltime but being combined with Facilities Manager.

Area covered, Basingstoke in the East, Bath/Bristol area and as far South as Penzance.

The teams that you'll work with are the best. They certainly know my weaknesses, coffee and cake.

If you want any further info message me

https://www.julianhouse.org.uk/jobs.htm

Mark-W  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2018 09:48:02(UTC)
Mark-W

Well closing date has passed. Seems there are over 40 people who want this job. So there should be some good candidates in that pile. I never thought that the 2 job streams would be compatible. Acting as the H&S and the FM seem at odds with each other.

Took a phonecall while in the office the other day from a university student who wanted the job, had no experience in either H&S or FM, but still thought that they'd get the job. Not sure what they were basing that thought on, perhaps it's the new generation always being told you can have any job you want and don't seem to undderstand that you need experience for differing levels of employment.

Not sure I'd contemplate even looking at this job if I had no qualifications in either career stream.

OwenHarding123  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2018 13:53:44(UTC)
OwenHarding123

Been seeing quite a few jobs around my area combining the two. No doubt another way of shoving work on H&S people ................................like they do with quality, oh and security (might get some flack for this).

Mark-W  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2018 14:57:58(UTC)
Mark-W

Well it seems that all the applicants are FM orientated and not 1 of them has a H&S qualification. Not sure how that will work as the company will then have no access to copetent H&S advice internaly. I know they won't want to pay for external. So I would assume that the new incumbant of my job will be going on a NEBOSH/IOSH course in the very near future

SNS  
#5 Posted : 07 December 2018 08:30:18(UTC)
SNS

Originally Posted by: Mark-W Go to Quoted Post

Well it seems that all the applicants are FM orientated and not 1 of them has a H&S qualification. Not sure how that will work as the company will then have no access to copetent H&S advice internaly. I know they won't want to pay for external. So I would assume that the new incumbant of my job will be going on a NEBOSH/IOSH course in the very near future

and as we know, qualification is not competence
Mark-W  
#6 Posted : 07 December 2018 10:50:52(UTC)
Mark-W

Originally Posted by: SNS Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mark-W Go to Quoted Post

and as we know, qualification is not competence

Correct, not sure how they are going to deal with it. But then it's not my problem.

Mark-W  
#7 Posted : 20 December 2018 10:17:04(UTC)
Mark-W

Well I've now found out how they want to deal with it. They aren't rushing to fill the H&S position. They want me to stay on but on a zero hours contract and only deal with issues via phone and for minimum wage.

So I politely declined, so they now have 60 properties, 150 staff spead from Basingstoke to Penznce and no H&S advisor. Recipe for disaster I reckon.

thanks 1 user thanked Mark-W for this useful post.
JohnW on 21/12/2018(UTC)
score  
#8 Posted : 20 December 2018 11:53:53(UTC)
score

It definately sounds like you are better off distancing yourself from them, they sound so unprofessional!

thanks 4 users thanked score for this useful post.
Mark-W on 20/12/2018(UTC), paul.skyrme on 20/12/2018(UTC), JohnW on 21/12/2018(UTC), jwk on 24/12/2018(UTC)