Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
markeland  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2018 10:45:04(UTC)
markeland

Hi all,

I have been working as a full-time H&S Advisor for approximately 5 years in the London area. I have a NEBOSH NGC and IOSH Managing Safely but am a very conscious that I should always be bolstering my CV with additional qualifications. 

Can anyone please recommend some qualifications which are realistically achievable whilst also holding down a full-time job? I understand that the pass rate for the NEBOSH Diploma is quite low and ideally, I would rather avoid something where everything boils down to a day's worth of exams. Having said that, whenever I look at job adverts, employers always seem to favour NEBOSH accreditations rather than City & Guilds etc.

Just to add that I am considering moving to Australia in the future (I hold dual British/Australia citizenship) so it would be great if said qualification was recognised over there - I understand NEBOSH isn't really recognised in Australia. They appear to have their own qualifications over there.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions!

jodieclark1510  
#2 Posted : 28 December 2018 11:54:43(UTC)
jodieclark1510

What kind of work are you involved in? What are your known areas of development? What would you be interested in learning? Are there any transferrable skills you might need to brush up on?

markeland  
#3 Posted : 28 December 2018 13:13:59(UTC)
markeland

Many thanks for your response. 

I work within large-scale manufacturing but to be honest, I don't find it particularly interesting and my role unfortunately has/makes very little impact. 

It may sound like a shallow answer but I'm really just looking to future-proof my CV and ensure that when I do look for that new role, my CV has some credibility. 

The NCRQ sounds appealing due to its coursework-based nature but I suspect that there will always be a bias from the perspective employers towards NEBOSH. I suppose that I could also add the NEBOSH Fire and Construction certificates which would require nominal study time and finanial outlay. 

I am quite interested in the environmental side (I know that NEBOSH currently have a course in this) but I'm not sure whether there are sufficient roles available in this sector, either in the UK or abroad. 

jodieclark1510  
#4 Posted : 28 December 2018 14:05:17(UTC)
jodieclark1510

I did the NEBOSH Fire cert, very much enjoyed it.

There are alots of H/S roles which are being clubbed together with Environmental and/or security so i think there will be a market for it. What about something like an auditing course, or brushing up on other transferable skills you have?

thanks 1 user thanked jodieclark1510 for this useful post.
markeland on 31/12/2018(UTC)
markeland  
#5 Posted : 30 December 2018 10:31:12(UTC)
markeland

Thanks again for your input.

I have quite extensive experience from an auditing perspective - ISO 9001 and ISO 45001. However, I don't have any qualifications in auditing. Would you be in a position to recommend any courses/qualifications? 

Would you happen to know anyone who has studied for the NEBOSH Environmental diploma and what their thoughts were on it?

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the NEBOSH Fire Certificate. Having already done half the qualification (having passed the NGC1), I suppose it makes it a sensible option.

jodieclark1510  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2018 08:44:31(UTC)
jodieclark1510

I did the IOSH SHE Auditing qualification in 2015 with CRS Risk, that was a very good course and I took alot away from it. I also did a couple of short NQA courses with my previous employer for 18001.

I'm afraid I don't know anyone who has undertaken the Environmental Diploma, but I'm sure there are some people on here who either know someone or who have attained it themselves.

KieranD  
#7 Posted : 31 December 2018 14:54:14(UTC)
KieranD

Markeland

It is possible that your question 'Can anyone please recommend some qualifications which are realistically achievable whilst also holding down a full-time job?' may not be the most approprirate one to ask when you may move to look for work in Australia.

There is substantial evidence that cultrure and leadership are two factors that influence the quality of occupaitonal safety and practive;  reading relevant social scientists who have researched facets of these complex influence may well be the most cost-effective investment of your time in anticipation of moving down under.  The sociologist Anthony  Hopkins has been a signifcant influence acrros the continent there, and in different ways psychologists such as James Reason, Dom Cooper, Antony Grant and Edgar Schein have also been,  It's not difficult to trace and read their books and articles so that you can build up a good working knowledge of how to apply their research to design and evaluate interventions in work-relaed safety and health and to coach others to do likewise.

Swygart25604  
#8 Posted : 03 January 2019 11:16:49(UTC)
Swygart25604

Hi Markeland,

For auditing qualifications, you should start with an internal auditor course (2 day) for the management system of your choice (9/14/45), and preferably take an IRCA approved course / qualification. Then look at Lead Auditor; these are 5 day courses, and again, make sure it is IRCA approved.

I've done the NEBOSH Env Dip but wouldn't recommend it to you, based on your original post.