Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Svick1984  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2019 10:13:58(UTC)
Svick1984

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone can offer me some practical advice. I'm having a bit of a 'crisis in confidence' and I'd appreciate some input and perspective from others. I've been in H&S scene for only about 4 years, and most of that time was spent working in a retail environment where I 'studied and passed' a Level 3 NVQ in Occupational H&S, but my learning never really went on from there. I've since moved into a manufacturing position and I'm worried that because I haven't gone through a more practical, exam based process (i.e. something like NEBOSH) that my knowledge isn't as good as it should be; I have general knowledge of lots of areas and I feel competent for the most part, but I do have concerns that I'm still sort of picking things up as I go, rather than just knowing it outright (I'm not one of these people that reads Regs or ACOP and can memorise them and site specific parts when needed). Is this likely to be because I've gone down an NVQ route instead of an exam based route? What actual benefits would I get out of doing NEBOSH cert or diploma over the NVQ? Is it possible to do some sort of conversion course to NEBOSH (if people advise it's better to have it)? Or is it better to do courses that are related to the industry I currently work in and if so, what courses are recommeneded? I was told by my original manager (who asked me to move into a H&S role) that there was no real difference between NVQ and NEBOSH, except one was more hands-on learning and demonstrating knowledge to satisfy the assessor (NVQ) and the other was more exam based, and other than that, it was just how it was perceived in the industry (and that more employers were coming round to accepting the NVQ rather than only accepting NEBOSH) but now I'm not so sure. Please can someone advise? Thanks in advance.  

Svick1984  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2019 10:33:25(UTC)
Svick1984

PS - I do also have a IFE approved Fire Safety Trainer cert and Legionella Awareness and Management cert.

WatsonD  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2019 12:32:13(UTC)
WatsonD

In short an NVQ is not training. The NVQ is an assessment of your work practices and knowledge to proove you are competent to the job role/ level. A NEBOSH certificate is an exam based qualification which relies on you learning, understanding and being able to relay that knowledge (under exam conditions) in a number of simulated scenarios.

Neither will make you a better H&S practitioner as such.

If you want to improve your skill-set then look at what your industry requires practitioners in your area to have, especially if you are looking to climb the career ladder.

Waz  
#4 Posted : 19 March 2019 16:47:47(UTC)
Waz

As stated, one is an evidence based portfolio, produced from your workplace to demonstrate your understanding of the required learning outcomes, often challenged by your assessor.  The other, the NEBOSH is a qualification requiring the individual to study and recite under exam conditions, appropriate answers to a number of questions, which are derived from key words e.g. Describe, Outline, List etc.

In looking at development, additional courses that add value to your organisation are key, this is clearly what you are doing.  If you wish to develop in H&S then it is for you to determine the most appropriate route.  What are your objectives, do you wish to look outside of retail, where the requriements for qualifications etc. would be so much different.  An NVQ L3 is ideal for a low risk environment, where the range of risk is somewhat limited; with the NEBOSH accepted as the 'standard' qualification level (both are the same within the Qualificaiton Framework).

Your next step is to join IOSH and progress through them, seeking guidance from peers etc. to determine what suits you and your longer term aspirations within the H&S field.

Good luck.

Waz

kamies_as  
#5 Posted : 19 March 2019 17:20:15(UTC)
kamies_as

NVQ is more helpful for those who have clear concepts about HSE, however, NEBOSH or other qualifications test the subject knowledge of a candidate. Moreover, passing NEBOSH is also sometimes tricky, which doesn't mean that a candidate, if failed, doesn't have knowledge. The examination has its own format to follow, which most of the times is not taken into consideration by candidates and that resulted in disqualification in the examination.

Kamran Ahmed Shaikh

Dubai

Edited by user 19 March 2019 17:21:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SNS  
#6 Posted : 20 March 2019 21:45:23(UTC)
SNS

You might want to look at the NCRQ system, I haven't done it - did NEBOSH route. However NCRQ is getting good reports for being a blend of theory and applied.

The most important aspect of the job (in my opinion) is knowing or recognising what you don't know and when to get help.

thanks 2 users thanked SNS for this useful post.
andrewhopwood on 21/03/2019(UTC), Martin Fieldingt on 23/07/2019(UTC)
Pembo55  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2019 09:48:28(UTC)
Pembo55

After passing my Iosh managing safely and nebosh cert and now undergoing my NCRQ dipolma I could not reccomend more the NCRQ route. I am very similar leaning style to yourself and this suits me perfectly and gives you a very good knowledge base and how to put the knowledge into place couldnt reccomend highly enough. Plus its cheaper and study at your own pace, its perect. 

thanks 2 users thanked Pembo55 for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 12/04/2019(UTC), Martin Fieldingt on 23/07/2019(UTC)
Svick1984  
#8 Posted : 21 March 2019 12:52:56(UTC)
Svick1984

Many thanks for all your input; I think I definitely need to look at joining IOSH and seeking guidance along with maybe doing the NCRQ. Thanks again.

andrewhopwood  
#9 Posted : 21 March 2019 13:26:50(UTC)
andrewhopwood

I have found the Nebosh difficult being very  much a memory  test, it is why  i have joined IOSH to be able to examine my  future route  

SammyK  
#10 Posted : 23 July 2019 07:33:00(UTC)
SammyK

Hello, The NVQ 3 and NEBOSH are same level qualifications. I really reccommend doing your NCRQ which is a level 6 qualification. I haven't done it myself but my Health and Safety Manager has, and, looking at the text books it is so much better than NVQ/NEBOSH. Good luck!

thanks 2 users thanked SammyK for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 23/07/2019(UTC), Svick1984 on 25/07/2019(UTC)
hilary  
#11 Posted : 23 July 2019 09:27:00(UTC)
hilary

Svick1984

How many of us can honestly say that we have stopped learning. I've been in this game for nearly 30 years and my knowledge base keeps expanding and expanding as we introduce new systems, new products, new practices or, indeed, the law changes.

We don't come out of college/university/NVQ or whatever route knowing everything, we develop and gain experience and knowledge along the way.

thanks 2 users thanked hilary for this useful post.
lorna on 24/10/2019(UTC), Swygart25604 on 25/10/2019(UTC)
Mark-W  
#12 Posted : 23 July 2019 09:39:02(UTC)
Mark-W

I currently have the NEBOSH gen cert, but don't think the NEBOSH route is for me anymore. I'm not a great lover of exams being a more practicle hands on person. Plus after my minor stroke 3 years ago my memory isn't what it used to be Info does sink in but it takes time to go in and more importantly it takes a bit longer for the info to be recalled, which isn't great when sat at a desk writing your exam answers.

So it'll be NCRQ for me, which I'm just starting the claim process to fund some of it. About the only perk of being ex forces currently

Martin Fieldingt  
#13 Posted : 23 July 2019 14:51:43(UTC)
Martin Fieldingt

'Getting funding as ex-forces Mark-W'. Is that because you have recentlky left or is it available to all ex-forces?

Svick1984  
#14 Posted : 25 July 2019 10:02:52(UTC)
Svick1984

Thanks again all for your advice; the more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to believe that the NCRQ route is the one for me.

ianjones  
#15 Posted : 25 July 2019 15:10:42(UTC)
ianjones

oI went the same route as you over 15 years ago, built up experience via short courses and read up on what i needed to know. 

Get in contact with your local IOSH branch they are a good source of experience and I useed to do visits to other peoples sites and invite them back to mine

NCRQ is great I am doing my diploma with them

No one knows everything but just be really knowledgeable on the things that are a risk at your site.

If you are near Newbury you are welcome to pop over

Edited by user 25 July 2019 15:11:36(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

thanks 1 user thanked ianjones for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 12/09/2019(UTC)
Ovo  
#16 Posted : 12 September 2019 09:43:33(UTC)
Ovo

Back in 2010 when i was a new starter in H&S i took the Nebosh General Certificate (Level 3) and found it really tough adjusting to the 'Nebosh way'. by that i mean the criteria for answering questions in a set way... 'Describe' 'List' 'explain' etc... 

As a result i spent many hours revising / reciting parrot fashion what i thought the answers might be. this to me detracted from the actual understanding of the subject matter. fortunately i passed and this led to a role in H&S.

A few years later i was looking to progress to Graduate status which meant more study at Diploma level and to be honest i was aprehensive about jumping back into the same study method of remembering facts to pass a test under strict exam conditions.

Then a friend introduced me to the NCRQ route to Diploma level and after a bit of research i established that for me at least, it was a method  that suited my learning style. I.E. no stressful classroom exams, but evidence based assignments done in a time to suit me and the ability to only ask for the assignments when you feel you are ready and not on a set date.

Both systems have thier merits and it is 'Horses for courses' which one to decide upon.

I have to say that the NCRQ route encouraged me to think more about applying the learning in day to day scenarios than the Nebosh route, which taught me to pass an exam. its a bit bit like driving, an instructor will teach you to pass a test, you then go on to gain experience on learning to actually drive.

As has been quoted already, we never stop learning in the field of H&S as there is always new technology or new legislation to learn. 

Edited by user 12 September 2019 09:45:26(UTC)  | Reason: Added paragraph

thanks 1 user thanked Ovo for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 12/09/2019(UTC)
Svick1984  
#17 Posted : 12 September 2019 10:40:30(UTC)
Svick1984

Originally Posted by: Ovo Go to Quoted Post

Back in 2010 when i was a new starter in H&S i took the Nebosh General Certificate (Level 3) and found it really tough adjusting to the 'Nebosh way'. by that i mean the criteria for answering questions in a set way... 'Describe' 'List' 'explain' etc... 

As a result i spent many hours revising / reciting parrot fashion what i thought the answers might be. this to me detracted from the actual understanding of the subject matter. fortunately i passed and this led to a role in H&S.

A few years later i was looking to progress to Graduate status which meant more study at Diploma level and to be honest i was aprehensive about jumping back into the same study method of remembering facts to pass a test under strict exam conditions.

Then a friend introduced me to the NCRQ route to Diploma level and after a bit of research i established that for me at least, it was a method  that suited my learning style. I.E. no stressful classroom exams, but evidence based assignments done in a time to suit me and the ability to only ask for the assignments when you feel you are ready and not on a set date.

Both systems have thier merits and it is 'Horses for courses' which one to decide upon.

I have to say that the NCRQ route encouraged me to think more about applying the learning in day to day scenarios than the Nebosh route, which taught me to pass an exam. its a bit bit like driving, an instructor will teach you to pass a test, you then go on to gain experience on learning to actually drive.

As has been quoted already, we never stop learning in the field of H&S as there is always new technology or new legislation to learn. 

To be honest, I had the same concerns about NEBOSH myself, so I'm glad that so many people are coming forward with their own testiomonials about NCRQ and recommending it. I've put forward my request to my MD about going for the NCRQ course (diploma level 6) and am just waiting to get approved/given some funding......wish me luck.

mihai_qa  
#18 Posted : 12 September 2019 11:36:01(UTC)
mihai_qa

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but the British Safety Council level 6 is quite interesting. They haven't exported that well and it's been abused in the middle east, but perhaps they have more stringent practices in the UK. 

While it follows a similar path to Nebosh (exams+ practical) you'll only sit 2 exams and submit 2 assignments. 

I also really liked the emphasis on Health and on Culture. It feels less like rote learning and more practical, usable than the nebosh dip (i felt the nebosh dip was just an extension of the GC).

Good luck in your choice.

Correction: I thought I was reading the another thread, similar topic but about level 6. BSC also have a level 3 certificate and apparently IOSH have released one level 3 (that I haven't seen anyone talking about).

Edited by user 12 September 2019 11:42:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked mihai_qa for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 16/09/2019(UTC)
Dave5705  
#19 Posted : 16 September 2019 05:50:32(UTC)
Dave5705

Originally Posted by: mihai_qa Go to Quoted Post

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but the British Safety Council level 6 is quite interesting. They haven't exported that well and it's been abused in the middle east, but perhaps they have more stringent practices in the UK. 

While it follows a similar path to Nebosh (exams+ practical) you'll only sit 2 exams and submit 2 assignments. 

I also really liked the emphasis on Health and on Culture. It feels less like rote learning and more practical, usable than the nebosh dip (i felt the nebosh dip was just an extension of the GC).

Good luck in your choice.

Correction: I thought I was reading the another thread, similar topic but about level 6. BSC also have a level 3 certificate and apparently IOSH have released one level 3 (that I haven't seen anyone talking about).

You'd have enjoyed the NCRQ course too Mihai, there is a massive emphasis on culture and health throughout the course. I think has in the past health has been pushed to one side in favour of controlling slips, trips, falls etc, yet more hours are lost every year from industrial disease, stress, and health issues than people falling off ladders or tripping over wires. Finally, the training providers are catching up.

Edited by user 16 September 2019 05:51:29(UTC)  | Reason: tryping error

thanks 2 users thanked Dave5705 for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 16/09/2019(UTC), mihai_qa on 24/10/2019(UTC)
jmaclaughlin  
#20 Posted : 18 September 2019 10:08:17(UTC)
jmaclaughlin

Your chosen industry should be taken into account as well, in mine (Railway) you are frequently put on the spot and have to give advice in “exam”  like situations.

IE Out on track you get asked is this Safe System Of Work ok or does this task/method of work comprise it, requiring works to be suspended?. (You now have the undivided attention of 30/40 people hoping for an early end to their shift & 2/3 supervisors and site/project managers wanting to get the job done)

Another example might be having to present your company’s H&S policies at an Invitation To Tender meeting followed by a Q&A session, both of which are quite high pressure for which I personally found “Exam” based testing an invaluable learning curve, as it taught me to get out relevant advice quickly and accurately.

In other industries  you may have more time to respond, in which case NCRQ type learning could be more appropriate.

As “Ovo” pointed out it really is very much a case of  “Horses For Courses” and you definitely never stop learning in this profession.

Good luck in whichever you choose.

Edited by user 18 September 2019 10:09:25(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

thanks 2 users thanked jmaclaughlin for this useful post.
jwk on 18/09/2019(UTC), WatsonD on 23/09/2019(UTC)
Svick1984  
#21 Posted : 18 October 2019 06:23:20(UTC)
Svick1984

Thanks for all the responses.

For those who have completed the NCRQ, how long did it take you to complete, roughly speaking? I know you have up to 3 years, but I assume it can be done much quicker than that (obviously dependent on the time invested)? I want to do it but not tie myself down for 3 years doing it.

Is it worthwhile enrolling and completing one unit at a time or is more beneficial to enrol on the entire diploma all at once (or does it not really make a difference either way)?

Thanks again.

craigroberts76  
#22 Posted : 23 October 2019 15:04:54(UTC)
craigroberts76

I did my NEBOSH cert in 2016/2017 and then my level 5 NVQ in 2018.  As I do H&S everyday i had loads of evidence and the NVQ only took weeks not months to.  I find the NEBOSH system too old fashioned and needs updating.  Whilst its fantastic for learning, it becomes more about recalling facts and being able to work answers using keywords they're looking for, NVQ is proof that I know what I'm doing and is equal to diploma level.

I'm now about to start my CMIOSH