Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
harriett  
#1 Posted : 21 March 2019 21:23:35(UTC)
harriett

Hello,

I have recently completed my NEBOSH qualification after working at a small business doing small-scale H&S work. I'd like to progress into a larger, more complex organisation and further my career. However, I'm finding it really difficult to get my foot in the door with most companies, all of whom are understandably asking for experienced candidates and those of experience in working with large organisations.

I'm very passionate, relatively young and would like to start a career at a company who I'd ideally work with for a long period of time. 

This is not an advert :)

Could anybody offer me some tips or pointers as to how I might be able to start on the ladder at an entry-level position? I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you,

Harriet

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2019 12:01:47(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Harriet, I think it would help the readers if you gave a bit more flavour of the sort of organisation(s) you have been working in and what you have had the chance to do, with examples of risks and what you have been able to do about them.

jodieclark1510  
#3 Posted : 25 March 2019 13:11:19(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Have you considered things like split roles to start off with? My first role was PA/Health and Safety Admin which gave me a good grounding plus some strong transferable skills to help. It might also be worth having a review of your CV and your letters of application, make sure  that you are really selling your skill set and showing you have at least a bit of what they are asking for?

Marble  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2019 18:10:17(UTC)
Marble

I'm in the same boat Harriet, one thing I have noticed in my area (SE England) is that employers seem to be trying to get their H & S staff on the very cheap- I have seen ads where they are running it in with PA or HR work, quite a bit of part time positions, and in one instance offering 18K for an administrative position "with some H & S and the successful candidate must have NEBOSH NGC"- and this in an area where a decent administrator should be earning more than that.

Don't know what the answer is really.

Mark-W  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2019 08:12:21(UTC)
Mark-W

Bigcompanies will want you to be able to hit the ground running, everything they do relates to the bottom line. They don't want to employ you and then pay for or lose you to training.

I've recently seen a facilities manager job offered, combined with H&S manager for a company that has 50 properties and over 150 staff. Monies offered 31K. Which isn't good for what they want from that person

Clark34486  
#6 Posted : 03 April 2019 08:22:35(UTC)
Clark34486

SHE practitioners are a necessary evil (their 'the employers' interpretation of Management Regs. requirements or insurance advice) the honest truth is that employers don't want us, let's not pretend it's anything other than that.

TBH the earlier I got my head around that the better I was at doing my job. Initially we all come bouncing into SHE fresh with our NEBOSH GC thinking everyone will have the same enthusiasm, simply isn't reality

And I still absolutely love what I do to this day 20+ years on

Edited by user 03 April 2019 08:36:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Clark34486 for this useful post.
webstar on 03/04/2019(UTC), brownsugar on 12/05/2019(UTC), Dave5705 on 22/06/2019(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#7 Posted : 03 April 2019 11:49:31(UTC)
CptBeaky

Originally Posted by: Clark34486 Go to Quoted Post

SHE practitioners are a necessary evil (their 'the employers' interpretation of Management Regs. requirements or insurance advice) the honest truth is that employers don't want us, let's not pretend it's anything other than that.

TBH the earlier I got my head around that the better I was at doing my job. Initially we all come bouncing into SHE fresh with our NEBOSH GC thinking everyone will have the same enthusiasm, simply isn't reality

And I still absolutely love what I do to this day 20+ years on

Totally agree with this. I am employed because they "have" to employ someone to do this role. I mean this literally. I have records of an insurance inspection before my time that told them they needed a dedicated H&S role, soon after one of my predecessors was employed. That isn't to say I am not made welcome, just if they could get away with not employing a H&S advisor/coordinator (I am not even sure what my actual title is) they would.

Bonus side to this is that I pretty much have free reign to work as I like. They do listen when I recommend actions and I don't have to justify most of my purchases. They trust me because the resuts are positive, and they don't want to have to deal with it themselves.

Johndoh1976  
#8 Posted : 26 April 2019 15:10:59(UTC)
Johndoh1976

Hi Harriet, 

I am in a similar situation, I am career changing. The only way I can gain more experience is by volunteering. It is working really well for me and is with a large organisation. 

michaelt  
#9 Posted : 20 June 2019 08:47:18(UTC)
michaelt

Where are you based?

UncleFester  
#10 Posted : 20 June 2019 11:26:41(UTC)
UncleFester

It looks like Harriett has disaappeared - 1 post (the opening post) and no visit since.

Edited by user 20 June 2019 11:27:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified