Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brownsugar  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2019 21:32:48(UTC)
brownsugar

Once I pass my NEBSOH GEN CERT. I would like to get/obtain some Work experience. I would like to start a career in Construction. Atm I work in Transport PCV. I'm thinking of going for a trainee Site Supervisor position. As a starting block for me.

Ive passed 2/3 of my NEBOSH GEN, so far. I made contact with HSE & some building firms asking them if I could do some 'work experience'  & 'shadow' their H&S officers etc. Only 2 companies sent me a reply. Ive been reading some these H&S vacancies & they mostly require 2/3 years experience.

I would be very grateful, if anyone could advise me, as I'm not too sure where I should/could start!!

WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2019 07:45:06(UTC)
WatsonD

The issue here is you want to go from a place of having no experience to move in to a supervisory and safety critical role in an industry where many others looking to move into these roles are time served. They understand the transient nature of construction and the culture of the people within. They are well versed in hot work permits, working at heights, MEWPS, cranes, etc.

The other issue you have is your Nebosh is General as opposed to Construction which would have given you more of an industry specific focus.

Those are the barriers you are facing so you just need to keep plugging away and an opening will come. But to be honest you have made it harder for yourself.

MrBrightside  
#3 Posted : 14 May 2019 08:34:33(UTC)
MrBrightside

Hi Brownsugar

You mention that you work in the Transport PCV so I would start there. I take it that's a Bus Company or something along those lines. The key to breaking into the world of H&S is to pair your current knowledge and experince with a safety role.

Look for safety roles in a similiar industry, use what you know! Having industry knowledge of the field you are doing safety in will really help you when starting off. Get some experience of a safety role under yourbelt and if you feel you still want to work in Construction, then having a few experience will help you.

As mentioned once you have finished the General, look at doing the Construction Cert as this will give you a taste of construction safety.

Use what you know and good luck.

thanks 1 user thanked MrBrightside for this useful post.
brownsugar on 15/05/2019(UTC)