Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lincon12  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2019 15:51:43(UTC)
Lincon12

Hello everyone,,

I am currently in a role in my organization that is fairly complex and always busy, but relatively underappreciated. It's very much a jack of all trades coordinator position that lets me collaborate with a lot of different work groups without ever being the lead on any initiatives. I've been with the company for about 7 years and moved into my current role 2 years ago after a few years as an analyst and 1 year as an intern.

In terms of pay, I've been making the same wage for the past couple years with a lot of the opportunities for advancement in other positions passing me by because I haven't had as broad a range of experience as other internal candidates.

I will be interviewing for a new role in a different branch of the company that would allow me to lead a research project and gain some project management experience. The catch is the position is temporary for 1 year and only part-time. So, while the pay is much higher than what I currently make, I would be earning half as much with the reduced hours. My hope is that if I took on this new part-time role, I could spend the rest of my time taking classes or an online program to give me more of an edge once this limited term position ends.

So...how much of a risk am I taking here? I feel like I've played it conservative for the past few years by sticking around and grinding for the decent steady income, but I'm worried I risk being seen as unambitious by management. I don't want to be treated like a fixture in my current role who the hiring teams don't consider for advancement.

For context: I'm in my early 30s and have been saving money for a downpayment for the past few years. I live with my partner who will help with covering expenses in the meantime, but I won't be able to contribute to the house fund during this time.

Any advice appreciated!

UncleFester  
#2 Posted : 11 June 2019 05:12:53(UTC)
UncleFester

I read the headline of this post and wondered why you place so much value on upgrading your car - then realised you meant career....

andrewjb1  
#3 Posted : 11 June 2019 08:12:18(UTC)
andrewjb1

I think you just need to balance stability with career,  I worked for my previous 2 employers for 10 years and there was little gratitude despite being a loyal employee, even with my current employer I have no doubt in my mind that should something happen such as financial reasons they would not think twice about my loyalty or what impact they may have.

I also see friends and colleagues changing jobs more frequently than I did a few years ago (Between 1 – 3 years) and looking back I think I should have been much quicker to move on than trying to stay loyal.

However, at the same time, like you, we need money and I have a mortgage to pay, bills and a car and need stability and moving to a new job can be risk.  I guess with H&S we are lucky to have a qualification to fall back on and you could always do consultancy and go it alone, if the opportunity is going to get you much further then you may have to live through the pain in the short term but only you know if you can afford it in the short term.

MrBrightside  
#4 Posted : 11 June 2019 08:42:10(UTC)
MrBrightside

The one thing I have realised the older I have got (42) is that Quality of Life is more important above all else. If you belive that this temp role will help advance your career, will make you happy and you can cope financially, then go for it.

jodieclark1510  
#5 Posted : 11 June 2019 12:05:34(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Could you ask about the backfilling of your current position? If its temporary they may leave your role open to come back to with a secondment while you are elsewhere?

Hsquared14  
#6 Posted : 11 June 2019 13:13:08(UTC)
Hsquared14

I would say you need to think about whether you want a career or just a job?  I know its hard to think about where you want to go with your career and one of my least favourite job interview questions is "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"  but you need to think ahead a little bit and think about what you want to do with your life in the longer term.   You don't say what aspirations you have so I can't comment on what courses etc might be useful but courses may not be the answer to fill in your down time, keep your eyes open for other part time opportunities.  I don't know your skill set but have you considered some consultancy which is often part time. Start hitting google, indeed, linked in, etc to see what is out there that you could do.  Good luck

chris42  
#7 Posted : 12 June 2019 08:30:53(UTC)
chris42

I would ask myself and be honest the following questions: -

How confidant am I that following this years’ worth of valuable experience, I will easily find another job in H&S, before we run out of money to live on.

How difficult was it to get the current job in your area?

How much of a real boost will this experience really give your career prospects, is it something employers value?

There will always be a gamble, but also ask yourself to temper the above questions: Will I always regret not trying to further myself.  The answer to that is highly likely to be yes, providing you will get something real from it.

If there was a magic formula to work these things out, we would all be using it!

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 12/06/2019(UTC)
Lincon12  
#8 Posted : 12 June 2019 10:16:41(UTC)
Lincon12

Originally Posted by: Lincon12 Go to Quoted Post

Hello everyone,,

I am currently in a role in my organization that is fairly complex and always busy, but relatively underappreciated. It's very much a jack of all trades coordinator position that lets me collaborate with a lot of different work groups without ever being the lead on any initiatives. I've been with the company for about 7 years and moved into my current role 2 years ago after a few years as an analyst and 1 year as an intern.

In terms of pay, I've been making the same wage for the past couple years with a lot of the opportunities for advancement in other positions passing me by because I haven't had as broad a range of experience as other internal candidates.

I will be interviewing for a new role in a different branch of the company that would allow me to lead a research project and gain some project management experience. The catch is the position is temporary for 1 year and only part-time. So, while the pay is much higher than what I currently make, I would be earning half as much with the reduced hours. My hope is that if I took on this new part-time role, I could spend the rest of my time taking classes or an online program to give me more of an edge once this limited term position ends.

You can take a few threads from the material and burn it with a flame. Genuine silk burns with a smell of burnt hair.handloom cotton sarees

When you burn the edge of real silk fabric,  tangail silk saree onine the flame is invisible and it will stop burning as soon as the flame is removed. The ash produced hence is black, crispy and brittle. It turns to powder when twisted in fingers.buy cotton handloom sarees onlie

: With artificial silk, it is quite the opposite. When synthetic silk is burnt, there is a flame and smell of plastic. No ash is produced.

Any advice appreciated!

WatsonD  
#9 Posted : 13 June 2019 11:02:17(UTC)
WatsonD

Why have you limited your choices to these two options, neither of which seem like anything other athan comprimises. One just offfers a bit of vague hope to be cashed in at a later date.

There is an element of risk in any new venture, but there is also risk in staying put. The reason people stay put is because they feel it is the safe option. I have been made redundant enough times to know that this is not the case. But to be chucked out of a job you didn't even want to stay in is a a very low experience.

Figure out what you want and go for it. No point using this life as a rehersal for the next.

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 13/06/2019(UTC)
Zyggy  
#10 Posted : 13 June 2019 13:43:01(UTC)
Zyggy

At the moment your options are merely theoretical as you are only going to be interviewed & have not been offered the position! Please remember that a interview is a two-way process & when it gets to the stage of "have you any questions", then you have an opportunity to see if there are any compromises that could be made in terms of pay & length of contract - there is a caveat of course that this might be seen as negative by the panel, but I would suggest that you owe it to yourself & your partner to pursue these lines. If you are successful in getting the post, how much difference do you think it will make in the future? Speaking personally & given the position you outline, I wouldn't have pursued this next step, however, I'm not you!!