Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ian_read  
#1 Posted : 28 June 2019 11:52:07(UTC)
ian_read

I am seting myself up as an idependent health and safety advisor to SME's in Scotland, and am wondering two things:

1. How do I advertise myself or let people know my servicec is availabele (I already have a website)

2. Is offering a retainer service as a "Competent Person" a pro or con as I have read differing opinions 

biker1  
#2 Posted : 28 June 2019 13:27:56(UTC)
biker1

It depends on what budget you haved for advertising, I suppose. A website can be limited by what search engines it is registered with, so awareness of it might not be as good as you hope. Have you thought about inclusion on the OSHCR system (you will need to be Chartered)? If you have a geographical market in mind, there are always local newspapers or even magazines, or you could advertise in one or more of the health and safety magazines.

As to advertising as a 'competent person', not sure how effective this could be, as the success of this would depend on what competencies you have to offer. Finding one-off jobs with clients could also be a foot in the door for retainer work.

JohnW  
#3 Posted : 29 June 2019 13:47:35(UTC)
JohnW

I have been sole-trader consultant for a number of years and never paid for ‘marketing’. I have a website which google finds in local searches at no cost, I just have a free google account and a local search will show me and a few other consultants on the little map. So that’s where I get most of my business. But I also drive around industrial estates and pick out target businesses like precision engineers, I get the name of the director or production manager from their website and either email them or send a real letter. That way has got me good work too.
chris.packham  
#4 Posted : 30 June 2019 08:23:01(UTC)
chris.packham

Have you considered getting involved in your local IOSH branch. The networking there can be useful. Also the Federation of Small Businesses in our area has networking events where you can meet people from a variety of SMEs in an informal setting.

amyharneiss  
#5 Posted : 19 July 2019 14:59:21(UTC)
amyharneiss

Hi there, 

To promote my business and services, I started attending business networking mornings- if you look in your local area, there's a lot of organisations which hold 'Business over Breakfast' mornings, I've attended a few run by different organisations and found ones which work for me. You get a variety of businesses who attend these sessions, including tradespeople, property developers and so forth. I have 90% of my work through referrals in these sessions. I did work for one guy who set up a Co-Working business and through him I have been referred to others as a result. Equally I have helped set them up with some connections so it works two ways! 

Worth checking out what's on in your local area, there's about 20 different networking mornings which go on each week where I live, as well as networking evenings and lunches too. Worth checking out. My business catapaulted with work as a result. 

martin sprange  
#6 Posted : 16 August 2019 12:01:12(UTC)
martin sprange

Originally Posted by: JohnW Go to Quoted Post
I have been sole-trader consultant for a number of years and never paid for ‘marketing’. I have a website which google finds in local searches at no cost, I just have a free google account and a local search will show me and a few other consultants on the little map. So that’s where I get most of my business. But I also drive around industrial estates and pick out target businesses like precision engineers, I get the name of the director or production manager from their website and either email them or send a real letter. That way has got me good work too.

This is a great topic.

in your letter / email do you use a styandard template? do you show pricing or hourly rate etc, what is the call to action?

martin sprange  
#7 Posted : 16 August 2019 12:06:42(UTC)
martin sprange

I have just registered for breakfast meetings etc.

I have an internet marketting diploma which i will use to do online free placements etc.

the local Google search is one of the best ways to be known.

Question to John.

when you send your email or letter, what information do you include?

what call to action do you use?

do you put in prices for day rate / hourly rate etc.

very interetsted in knowing. many thanks.