Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Falconsfan  
#1 Posted : 13 June 2019 18:34:43(UTC)
Falconsfan

Hi all,

I am new here so any advice with links / laymens terms would be much appreciated. 

I am 49 years old living in Cheshire, looking for career change into H&S, leaning hopefully eventually into environmental H&S.

For the past 7 years I have been training and assessing in Health and Social Care. I have gained my PTLS and Level 4 Learning and Development. I sat my self funded NEBOSH General Certificate late 2017 and need resit my NGC1 element which I have this June. 

I have also completed my IOSH Working Safely and also IOSH Managing Safely, both E-Learning self funded. 

I used to be a Coal Miner, worked on Wedgwoods and Michelin at various stages and worked on an adhesives factory for 12 years as a Team Leader and H&S representitive which is where I learned that I very much enjoy H&S, but the company would not fund my NEBOSH, so had to wait until I had enough savings to fund myself.

I would like to know any tips / hints / advice and guidance from the learned people on here how I can break into a Health and Safety role as all jobs I look at or have applied for seem to want experience. I have a lot of transferable skills and experience and I am trying my hardest to get it down on paper to prove I can carry put a H&S role and do a great job.

I was also looking at undertaking my IEMA or NEBOSH Environmental Certificate? Which one is best for me to start? I am passionate about the environment and would love to link this passion into my role, but would also be very happy in any H&S position.

Thanks very much for any responses in advance,

Scott

SBH  
#2 Posted : 01 July 2019 10:43:21(UTC)
SBH

Hi Scott,

Unfortunately for you there are hundreds of people with the qualifications you currently have and like yourself they are all trying to get into health and safety but have no experience and limited knowledge. You could continue to do courses and build up your qualifications but you would still lack experience. If I were you I would volunteer your services around various low risk companies to gain experience and attend IOSH meetings to mingle with your peers. This may lead to some work, but to be honest with you there are also a lot of experienced people looking for work so I would suggest that the future may look a little bleak with opportunities not forthcoming. 

Regards

SBH

hilary  
#3 Posted : 01 July 2019 11:05:33(UTC)
hilary

Hi Scott

Your services are a product to be sold and like any other product they need a Unique Selling Point (USP). 

Mining is a dangerous occupation, perhaps you can use your experiences to explain how this has moulded your approach to health and safety, likewise, adhesive factories have a lot of hazards and you were responsible for a team of people both supervisory and health and safety rep, so there are more experiences there.  I think the trick is to apply your H&S knowledge retrospectively to your past careers and explain how you would have done things differently.  Don't think because you don't have pure H&S experience that you have NO relevant experience because that's not true.

Good luck with the search and don't give up.

thanks 2 users thanked hilary for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 03/07/2019(UTC), Falconsfan on 23/07/2019(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#4 Posted : 01 July 2019 11:09:10(UTC)
CptBeaky

It may be worth your time to go into more supervisory/junior positions with H&S duties alongside your role. Once you have this foundation it would be a matter of highlighting what H&S related achievments you managed in you CV.

A good CV is nearly as important as experience. Emphasize your H&S accomplishments and you might already have the requirements to get a low level position in a small manufacturing firm. You are not that much less qualified than myself, and that is what I did. PM me if you want some help with this.

thanks 2 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 03/07/2019(UTC), Falconsfan on 23/07/2019(UTC)
WatsonD  
#5 Posted : 02 July 2019 08:27:33(UTC)
WatsonD

The problem with experience is it can't be fast tracked. However, you can give yourself a better chance by looking for H&S roles in sectors where you already have experience (albeit not H&S management).

I would take a time served carpenter with a NEBOSH cert over a MSc graduate for construction H&S roles any day of the week, for example.

You Nebosh cert, when you get it, is more or less a starter qual for the industry, so if you want to increase your qualification portfolio, you would need to look at NEBOSH dip, NVQ or NCRQ, etc.

As other have said there is volunteering. Networking at IOSH events could be useful. I assume you are a member? If not gaining membership would be a good way of showing others you are serious.

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
Falconsfan on 23/07/2019(UTC)
H Maryam  
#6 Posted : 02 July 2019 11:41:00(UTC)
H Maryam

Hi Scott

i cant offer too much in advise but can share my story as that might help. i am also new to HSE, my background is engineering and i have worked over 11 years in the oil industry in the field overseas and the UK , as lead engineer running projects as a supervisor in the office and as a petrophysicist for a major oil company. i also felt passionate about HSE and decided to change direction a bit in the recent oil slump, funded my NEBOSH and auditing course. all my past jobs needed some level of HSE understanding and implementation esp offshore ones managing a crew and multi million dollar projects.

i got hired by an oil service company as an HSE advisor as my previous experience was relevant to what they are doing and i can understand from an engineering point of view and advise accordingly. my advise would be to look in the same industry you have experience of as you can bring your past knowledge. make sure your cv reflects this.

the oil industry is picking up now hopefully so there are lots of vacancies if you fancy changing your career and moving to aberdeen (most likely).

best of luck!

thanks 3 users thanked H Maryam for this useful post.
westonphil on 02/07/2019(UTC), Martin Fieldingt on 03/07/2019(UTC), Falconsfan on 23/07/2019(UTC)
RSOK  
#7 Posted : 17 July 2019 16:05:38(UTC)
RSOK

Dear FF,

I did a 13 month MSc. in Sunderland which because it was Environment, H&S had a bursary attached.

I'm not sure they still run it, but three months of it is the placement, which may get you a "we tried him, we liked him" job.

The placements were not only located in the T & W area but much wider.

All the best Marra,

Richard

thanks 1 user thanked RSOK for this useful post.
Falconsfan on 23/07/2019(UTC)
Falconsfan  
#8 Posted : 23 July 2019 15:50:02(UTC)
Falconsfan

Thank you everyone for your insight, advice and wisdom. I am late replying as I have been studying for my NGC1 resit which is now done, just waiting now. I have been training for quite a few years now so may lean towards Health and Safety Training. I have been wanting to work for myself for many years now and this may afford me the opportunity, as I can also deliver First Aid / EFAW. 

Thanks again all. No better feeling than knowning there are selfless people out there who will use there own time to help a complete stranger. 

All the best

Scott

thanks 2 users thanked Falconsfan for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 24/07/2019(UTC), hilary on 24/07/2019(UTC)
mihai_qa  
#9 Posted : 24 July 2019 10:28:33(UTC)
mihai_qa

Hi, first of all good luck with your exam. On your query, there are very few HSE professionals that have had hands-on experience in production or operations (at least where I'm at) so that will give you a big edge, in my book.

If you don't mind relocating, I'd reccomend approaching some UK based recruitment agencies that specialize in the ME/GCC. These markets are in dire need of experienced people and while qualifications do matter your pre-HSE experience is what will set you apart. That, and the fact that you have a strong command of the English language (a rarity in these parts), coupled with working under UK legislation (most mirror that here) I think will give you a good opportunity.

If you'd like, drop me your CV on mihai.postaru@yahoo.com and I'll ffwd it to some people. But I did notice a trend, most quality recruits come directly from the UK, so much so that I stopped looking for work locally and usually try to engage UK agencies that recruit for the ME.

Best of luck and don't get caught up in the certificate chase. It gets expensive fast and should not be your priority.  

Cheers,

Mihai

thanks 1 user thanked mihai_qa for this useful post.
Falconsfan on 24/07/2019(UTC)