Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EmmaRHG  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2019 07:51:12(UTC)
EmmaRHG

I was looking at the NEBOSH diploma but I am struggling with the exam locations as they would require fairly lengthy travel. The NCRQ diploma has since been suggested as an alternative so I am wondering which, in the eyes of a recruiting company, is better?

Clearly both are level 6 but I still feel that NEBOSH is the more highly regarded qualification - anyone have any thoughts or advice please?

jwk  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2019 08:06:56(UTC)
jwk

Speaking as somebody who has been a recruiter and manager of H&S people for the past fifteen years I would happily accept the NCRQ Dip as evidence of knowledge. Two of my former team are studying for the NCRQ, their comments are positive, and an encouraging sign of their personal and professional development. The approaches are very different, but they both seem worthwhile,

John

Evans38004  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2019 09:04:20(UTC)
Evans38004

As someone who has coached individuals through both systems, I found that the NEBOSH diploma was preferred by "academic" candidates and the NCRQ diploma preferred by the "hands on" candidates - the latter provided the best, rounded individuals for my team.

However, as someone who has regularly achieved the goal of making the company H&S management process effective enough to eliminate the need for a H&S professional to be employed and therefore moved on to new employers, I found that job adverts that state NEBOSH diploma (or similar) required, then the junior person in the recruitment firm or HR department of company would in 90% of applications bin the applications / CVs that did not include NEBOSH diploma.

thanks 1 user thanked Evans38004 for this useful post.
GTD on 02/07/2019(UTC)
WatsonD  
#4 Posted : 27 June 2019 09:35:24(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: Evans38004 Go to Quoted Post

As someone who has coached individuals through both systems, I found that the NEBOSH diploma was preferred by "academic" candidates and the NCRQ diploma preferred by the "hands on" candidates - the latter provided the best, rounded individuals for my team.

However, as someone who has regularly achieved the goal of making the company H&S management process effective enough to eliminate the need for a H&S professional to be employed and therefore moved on to new employers, I found that job adverts that state NEBOSH diploma (or similar) required, then the junior person in the recruitment firm or HR department of company would in 90% of applications bin the applications / CVs that did not include NEBOSH diploma.

You make a good point in your second paragraph regarding the selection process. I can't agree with your first statement however.

Evans38004  
#5 Posted : 28 June 2019 06:44:51(UTC)
Evans38004

You make a good point in your second paragraph regarding the selection process. I can't agree with your first statement however.

WastsonD - The statement is true for "my team" - this may not be true for all individuals & teams

jodieclark1510  
#6 Posted : 28 June 2019 06:59:54(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Originally Posted by: EmmaRHG Go to Quoted Post

I was looking at the NEBOSH diploma but I am struggling with the exam locations as they would require fairly lengthy travel. The NCRQ diploma has since been suggested as an alternative so I am wondering which, in the eyes of a recruiting company, is better?

Have you tried local colleges? Alot of them cater for different exam boards so there may be somewhere a little more local that could help. In all honesty, I wouldn't worry too much about which is better recruiting wise, it needs to be something that suits you as a person and your situation. If you don't like exam situations, don't do a NEBOSH Dip as 3/4 units are exam based, if you can't evidence your work, don't do an NVQ.  If you can't get comfortable in scanario based exercises, don't do NCRQ. You also need to consider if you are self funding the course and the amount of time you need to dedicate to whichever qualification you choose as it may impact on work/life/study balance for a while. Good companies/ recruiters know the options out there and appreciate their individual merits.

WatsonD  
#7 Posted : 28 June 2019 10:34:03(UTC)
WatsonD

WastsonD - The statement is true for "my team" - this may not be true for all individuals & teams

Fair enough but your first statement was somewhat more disingenuous.

GTD  
#8 Posted : 02 July 2019 08:13:09(UTC)
GTD

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post

Fair enough but your first statement was somewhat more disingenuous.

let me guess, you have a nebosh diploma...