Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ves  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2019 08:53:02(UTC)
Ves

Hi all,

I am looking into further progressing my training and i am after advise whether Diploma or MSc would be a better option. A bit of background information:

Education and training - 1st class degree in accountancy and finance, NEBOSH general certificate, investigator training and various other 1-2 day courses (D&A testing, face fit testing, dangerous gases....)

Experience: in H&S since 2014, started with a welding company on the railway - 3years with them, now been for 2 years with signalling company on the railway. No training in the last 2 years and it looks like i have to fund it if I do any. at the moment I have over 10 years experiance on railway, with over 5 years in H&S on the railway.

I have just been 'promoted' to Tech IOSH. I would like to be chartered ASAP.

Look forward to all your advice for the best course of action for me.

Many thanks in advance!

jwk  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2019 10:43:28(UTC)
jwk

Hi Ves,

Looking at the ASAP nature of your query it has to be a Dip of some sort or another. Just checked one very well known education provider and they say the average completion time for the NEBOSH Dip is 12 - 18 months. If you want ASAP I would guess you would do it in 12 or less. A Masters is 24 months, no fast track. Your best option is a Level 6 Diploma such as NEBOSH or NCRQ now, and a Masters later,

John

thanks 1 user thanked jwk for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 09/08/2019(UTC)
George_Young  
#3 Posted : 09 August 2019 16:22:28(UTC)
George_Young

I think the fastest route would perhaps be the NCRQ route, depending on your work/life balance, it can be done within months, I managed it within 6 months. after that, you can apply for GradIOSH then go onto Chartered

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2019 14:03:06(UTC)
peter gotch

Ves - perhaps "Education" is not necessarily the best title for your thread.

Depending on your role, then possibly an NVQ would be an option. Case of doing your job and showing how this covers all the aspects in the various topics you would need to address in a Vocational Qual.

Might need you to demand opportunities to do some new things, which would be beneficial to both your employer and you, but would require a recognition of this by your employer

forestgate2016  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2019 12:11:10(UTC)
forestgate2016

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post
Ves - perhaps "Education" is not necessarily the best title for your thread. Depending on your role, then possibly an NVQ would be an option. Case of doing your job and showing how this covers all the aspects in the various topics you would need to address in a Vocational Qual. Might need you to demand opportunities to do some new things, which would be beneficial to both your employer and you, but would require a recognition of this by your employer
I'm seconding Peter, being that I too went through the NVQ process...the limit to the Level 5 NVQ Diploma I did was 'myself' as it could have been finished in 5-6 months if all my evidence and reflections were turned in on time.
Gavin Gibson  
#6 Posted : 23 August 2019 09:57:36(UTC)
Gavin Gibson

I have done both the NEBOSH Dip and a Masters and would suggest that the Diploma comes first.  Whilst a Masters will, typically giv eyou an understanding of concepts and high level information / process, it will not give you a grounding in HS law.

Ves  
#7 Posted : 27 August 2019 09:32:22(UTC)
Ves

Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to proceed with NVQ Level 6, just need to decide which provider. Once again Thank you all!

Yaqub Ward  
#8 Posted : 21 January 2022 13:05:35(UTC)
Yaqub Ward

Thanks for the information.