Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
N Casebury  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2019 13:22:30(UTC)
N Casebury

I have worked for a small industrial roofing company for the past 14 years the last ten being as a site supervisor. Last year I completed my nebosh construction cert and earlier the year citb sssts and smsts courses all self funded. I'm looking to move to a larger construction company with career progression but feel I'm being overlooked due to most my on site experience being in roofing and cladding contracts. I do have experience of setting up site with different trades, scaffolding, cranes and working on live sites working around ongoing site operations. I'm looking for advice on how to secure a new opportunity the problem I feel I'm having is I haven't got experience with computers or writing site documents Which I feel will only come with experience but I'm struggling to find a suitable position. Any advice would be greatly appreciated northwest based.
AllanFS  
#2 Posted : 22 October 2019 13:55:21(UTC)
AllanFS

Before you start looking, get involved with the RAMS writing within your existing company & other Site Safety Documentation. Ask to conduct Safety Inspections of Sites within the company. If you have not got a Laptop then get one & learn Word, Powerpoint & Excel. Master your own profession before moving to another discipline eleswhere in regards to Safety. Any issues you can PM me.

Regards

Allan

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2019 12:20:52(UTC)
peter gotch

N C - who is writing your site documentation?

Who is doing your inductions, method statement briefings to operatives, inspections etc?

If this is all about getting some (Health and) Safety Consultant to do, then time to push for more line management ownership of the problem! (Yes, I realise that isn't necessarily as easy as me writing this)

lorna  
#4 Posted : 24 December 2019 10:30:42(UTC)
lorna

Chris

I reported that post yesterday - clearly a relative of Monica...