Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mike52  
#1 Posted : 11 November 2019 11:00:14(UTC)
mike52

Just looking for advice. I am going to be made redundant the end of the year, so was looking for a change in direction. After several years in both retail and warehouses (though not in safety roles). I wo der if i would be too old to do this role. At present i have neboshh diploma ang looking to redo it to become more up to date. However if ny idea is not practical then i will not spend the money and may consider retirement instead. Mike
SBH  
#2 Posted : 11 November 2019 11:43:25(UTC)
SBH

I would not say that age is an issue, more that the lack of experience in health and safety may deter some employers. Maybe you should try applying for positions now, if you already have the diploma, and test the water

SBH

hilary  
#3 Posted : 11 November 2019 11:46:28(UTC)
hilary

I don't think any age is too old if it's what you want to do but as SBH says, your lack of experience may be a factor in actually securing a position in this field.

Good luck.

Elfin Davy 09  
#4 Posted : 11 November 2019 11:47:07(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Hi - With all due respect, this is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions, because nobody will be able to give you a definitive answer unfortunately.

In theory, age shouldn't be a barrier (in fact it's discriminatory), but in the real world we all know that prejudices still exist at many levels, so it may well have a bearing (even if it's glossed over as being something else).

However, on the plus side, you have several years experience in retail/warehousing, so you might be exactly what someone is looking for.  I personally wouldn't go to the expense of "redoing" your Diploma (expensive and time-consuming), but I would be looking to update my skills and knowledge with a couple of short (and much cheaper) refresher type course if possible.

If it's not going to cost you a fortune, you don't have anything to lose by putting yourself out there and seeing what happens do you, and I certainly wouldn't dismiss it without trying if you're genuinely interested.

Good luck, and I hope it works out for you.

thanks 1 user thanked Elfin Davy 09 for this useful post.
Swygart25604 on 15/11/2019(UTC)
Alfasev  
#5 Posted : 11 November 2019 11:53:49(UTC)
Alfasev

I would not redo your diploma but spend your money getting a fire qualification. There is going to be big changes and the word is that there is not the people out there to do the required roles. Lots of openings, scope for working when you like and with age comes experience. The government is planning to make a big announcement just before Christmas.

thanks 1 user thanked Alfasev for this useful post.
RayRapp on 19/11/2019(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 11 November 2019 13:04:04(UTC)
A Kurdziel

62 too old- don’t know. What you need to pitch is your wealth of experience both H&S related and general work experience. You have a diploma but you have not been working primarily in H&S so what sort of H&S stuff have you been doing? Can you deliver a toolbox talk or look at risk assessment and judge if it’s any good?  Real life skills can count for more that simply book learning and being able to recite case law.

Keep looking

Acorns  
#7 Posted : 12 November 2019 07:59:03(UTC)
Acorns

As above, if your planning to stop “working” at 63, then probably too late. However, if your looking to work longer then go for it. Curious how you did the diploma and not currently in an H&S role. Had you been in the role wanted a change, if so do you really want to return? Some legidlation may not have changed but perhaps ACOPs etc have. Not sure I’ve seen a refresher course But not looked too deeply into it. Good luck into the new adventure
mike52  
#8 Posted : 14 November 2019 10:24:09(UTC)
mike52

Thank you all for your replies and encouragement. As for Acorns question, i did the diploma when i was made redundant. Like many of you pointed out it was lack of experience and various family commitments that i did not pursue H&S earlier in life. Oh well we learn by our mistakes lol . Thank again and i will look at where i go from here. Mike
peter gotch  
#9 Posted : 17 November 2019 11:37:58(UTC)
peter gotch

Mike, how long ago did you do the Diploma? The probability is not much has changed as regards legislation, ACOPs etc since.

Consider how to structure your CV to reflect how you have been doing H&S as an integral part of your role(s).

Good luck, Peter

RayRapp  
#10 Posted : 19 November 2019 11:10:46(UTC)
RayRapp

Some very good advice already, perhaps a niche role either in your own industry or as suggested in fire management. 62 may not be too old, I was 46 when I got my first full-time job, but you need to think about how much time and money you are prepared to invest and what return you are likely to get before you decide to retire. 

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
O'Donnell54548 on 20/11/2019(UTC)
O'Donnell54548  
#11 Posted : 20 November 2019 11:04:50(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Good advice from RayRapp. If you think you are too old, then you are! No one should let their age dictate their life choices, there are plenty of other restrictions out there without creating your own. You have a life time of experiences and skills that no training course or Phd can ever match. Do not let them go to waste.

thanks 1 user thanked O'Donnell54548 for this useful post.
RayRapp on 20/11/2019(UTC)
royhowes  
#12 Posted : 24 January 2020 15:08:10(UTC)
royhowes

I realise this some time after your post but I felt I should throw something encouraging into the pot.

Coming from a retail/warehousing background I first started H&S at the tender age of 53 with the NEBOSH Gen Cert - I now have the NEBOSH Dip, NEBOSH Env. Dip, and NEBOSH Fire Safety Cert. I am currently a H&S manager for a leading rail freight company - sooo far removed from retail.

I have been Grad IOSH for the last 4 years and am now on the cusp of submitting my final project for CMIOSH. I have also just been granted a licence from IOSH to deliver Managing Safely so this will be a pillar for the H&S training and consultancy business that I am launching in about 2 weeks time that I intend to carry on well into retirement, so in essence, no you are not too old to start - nor too old to carry on.

I am still only 60 so all of the above has been achieved in 7 years. If you feel H&S is what you want to do then go for it and don't waste all the hard work you will have put in to achieve your diploma because this can be a useful suppliment to your pension later in life.

thanks 1 user thanked royhowes for this useful post.
Swygart25604 on 28/01/2020(UTC)
peter gotch  
#13 Posted : 24 January 2020 18:56:32(UTC)
peter gotch

Roy, I think you probably do yourself a disservice as I imagine that you still use all the experience, knowledge etc that you gained BEFORE you decided to do a career change.

But a great example of what can be done!