Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Murra1960  
#1 Posted : 13 January 2020 15:27:20(UTC)
Murra1960

Trying to determine if SVQ (Scottish Vocational Qualification) 3 and 4 qualifications allow for membership to Grad IOSH

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2020 13:52:08(UTC)
peter gotch

Murra, somewhere on the IOSH website there is a flow chart which shows what levels of academic qualification you need for various grades. But I can't find it today, partly as a couple of links on another page are not working.

But in simple terms, Grad IOSH requires something at European Qualifications Framework (EQF) Level 6.

EQF Level 4 provides an entry route to Tech IOSH.

Kirstyj  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2020 10:34:41(UTC)
Kirstyj

Thank you for your post. We are looking into the errors you mentioned but in the meantime the qualifications and IOSH membership categories page can be located here.

If you do need further support regarding your qualification and how to upgrade your IOSH membership, please contact the Professional Development team on 01162573200 or email Professional.Development@iosh.com           

Many thanks

Kirsty Dickens

Professional Development Manager

thanks 1 user thanked Kirstyj for this useful post.
martin paul jones on 17/01/2020(UTC)
Murra1960  
#4 Posted : 20 January 2020 13:19:04(UTC)
Murra1960

Thank you for the advice. I should have added that I am in the process of evaluating a potential contractor who has given the name of their H&S Consultant as being one who uses Grad IOSH yet has  a SVQ level 3 and 4 in Occ Health. Wasn't sure if that particular qualification was sufficient for Grad membership.

jwk  
#5 Posted : 22 January 2020 12:22:45(UTC)
jwk

Hi Murra,

If you ring memberships and give them the name of the person you are considering they will be able to confirm whether they are GradIOSH or not,

John

peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 23 January 2020 18:47:30(UTC)
peter gotch

Murra, there is the additional complication that a VQ Level 4 used to be graded so as to enable entry to Grad IOSH, but that was quite some years ago. The standard of the qualification hasn't changed - the grading system has.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 23 January 2020 21:14:09(UTC)
Roundtuit

just when we have the pending "Competency Framework"

I will mirror the advice to ring membership to confirm someones status otherwise they are being fraudulent

Trying to use current criteria against historic award is fraught with danger. A lot of CMiosh were fortunate to be "grandfathered" without the hoops a current chartered member needs to achieve the status.

Bringing it to a common understandable level early drivers did not receive a licence, then we had the practical driving test and latterly we have a split theorey/practical test - all can still legally drive but the criteria, conditions along with the actual licence format have changed. I still have my legal and valid pink/green paper driving licence so no need to renew a photo card every ten years or to pay for a DVLA check to hire a car particularly since the withdrawal of the paper counterpart. Unfortunately many policy and procedure writers have only experienced photo cards so mistakenly assume everyone must hold one to drive. I love turning up with the required "photo identity" of my driving licence.

Edited by user 23 January 2020 21:57:17(UTC)  | Reason: the spirit of Victor Meldrew

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 23 January 2020 21:14:09(UTC)
Roundtuit

just when we have the pending "Competency Framework"

I will mirror the advice to ring membership to confirm someones status otherwise they are being fraudulent

Trying to use current criteria against historic award is fraught with danger. A lot of CMiosh were fortunate to be "grandfathered" without the hoops a current chartered member needs to achieve the status.

Bringing it to a common understandable level early drivers did not receive a licence, then we had the practical driving test and latterly we have a split theorey/practical test - all can still legally drive but the criteria, conditions along with the actual licence format have changed. I still have my legal and valid pink/green paper driving licence so no need to renew a photo card every ten years or to pay for a DVLA check to hire a car particularly since the withdrawal of the paper counterpart. Unfortunately many policy and procedure writers have only experienced photo cards so mistakenly assume everyone must hold one to drive. I love turning up with the required "photo identity" of my driving licence.

Edited by user 23 January 2020 21:57:17(UTC)  | Reason: the spirit of Victor Meldrew