Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nunoggomes  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2014 12:48:43(UTC)
nunoggomes

I don't now if anyone used a CV review service... but did you ever used the CV24-7 company service? What it is the feedback about this company? Many thanks
hopeful  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2014 09:15:29(UTC)
hopeful

I have never used this service but I am very wary, it would be much cheaper to use colleagues that you respect, or even connections here. Having looked at many CVs recently you can usually tell which are paid for and as you should adapt your CV to the role that you are applying for it may not be that relevant. If you want to PM me I am more than happy to review your CV for you to help
bob youel  
#3 Posted : 25 February 2014 13:30:00(UTC)
bob youel

I used to do this for a living so send me a PM obviously there will be no cost to a fellow adviser
Tom Thomson  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2014 05:16:46(UTC)
Tom Thomson

Yes it will be a nice option to get reviewed CV at free of cost
petethomas1  
#5 Posted : 07 March 2014 09:35:14(UTC)
petethomas1

I tried the CV Centre and would advise that anyone avoids them. They adjusted the format but the rest of the CV was a direct cut and paste from the previous CV's that I had submitted.
PIKEMAN  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2014 11:01:13(UTC)
PIKEMAN

There are loads of organisations which will review your CV "for free". However, they ALWAYS say that it is not good in blah blah blah and for a few quid they will fix it.................this happened to me after I had my CV sorted by a professional and then ran it past another CV company!
tonia  
#7 Posted : 08 March 2014 13:03:45(UTC)
tonia

Am I upload my cv here or what cos am new here peeps pls do give me info on wat I nid to knw about iosh cos I want to b into dis iosh full tym as a nurse.pls advice will be appreciated.
Kate.  
#8 Posted : 09 March 2014 08:26:31(UTC)
Kate.

Tonia, if you tell us a bit more about yourself and your aspirations we might be able to make suggestions. No, there isn't any facility to upload a CV here.
chris42  
#9 Posted : 09 March 2014 10:21:16(UTC)
chris42

I have not used a paid service but a number of people / organisations reviewed my CV. To be honest they all told me different things , some of which was directly opposite to another. If someone on here is willing to help that would probably be better. Advice from people who do not understand H&S terms and issues etc wanted to take out things I felt important. As noted above you need to tailor the CV, so once you have what you are happy with as a general layout, try and mirror the requirement terms used in the job ad in your CV (helps them tick the boxes). Not too much detail, At first I crammed everything I could on the sheets in a bit too much detail. But obviously do not miss out anything important. I found bullet points helped in previous job descriptions instead of a block of text in a paragraph. Hope the hunt goes well. Chris
Mr Curious  
#10 Posted : 13 March 2014 20:24:22(UTC)
Mr Curious

Greetings all. I face the same situation as the original author. I've got a MEng from a Greek polytechnic university and am about to finish my MSc on safety, health and environmental management in UK and now planing ahead since I'm getting my degree in June. I've managed to create a CV of my own but since I have no previous working exp in UK nor colleagues or friends to ask for review, I applied to various sites which have this service for free. I got similar answers almost from all, that my CV needs improvement and that I should contact an expert form their team with a variety of cash options depending on what I needed. Bottom line, if anyone could provide their personal/professional experience on my CV would be much appreciated. Kind regards, Achilleas
bob youel  
#11 Posted : 24 March 2014 09:46:00(UTC)
bob youel

as previously noted I was in the recruitment game for many years and an willing to look at CV's 1: There is no formal specific style 2: Give employers what they want so you may have to have differently tuned CV's to suit different situations 3: Look at what todays business situations are like e.g. very money orientated and hard and tune to suit e.g. nobody wants to know what your interests are nor how many kids you have I can assure U so don't waste time with areas that do not appear to give an employer what they want e.g. value 4: Always talk about money e.g. what your efforts have saved etc. as if you do not know what money you have saved or stopped being wasted I advise that you get to know and fast 5: keep things as short as possible whilst selling yourselves 6: Highlight memberships and qualifications 7: Do not lie as it will come out if you have 8: Think business first, second and third 9: Morality does not come into the equation in most cases 10: put the employer first 11: think outside the box as its surprising what people have done but forget about it 12: use the correct political terms 13: don't note that you were an employee rep 14: note what you are planning to do e.g. an auditing course so as a business can get more for its money and similar areas as these are very hard times so people need to get business like
thanks 1 user thanked bob youel for this useful post.
leeoneill on 19/04/2021(UTC)
lumusislight  
#12 Posted : 28 January 2020 11:07:19(UTC)
lumusislight

Originally Posted by: lumusislight Go to Quoted Post

Hello guys,

Has anyone used CV checkers? There's a rating system by The University of Sheffield - How do you rate your CV or buy essay for your admission? But it's just a simple survey with Yes/No/Mostly answers. I don't think it's the best variant to check a CV.

Here's the service I've mentioned above. Did anyone use any other tools?

https://careers.dept.shef.ac.uk/interactive/cvreview/