Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pilkington20876  
#1 Posted : 29 February 2020 11:32:34(UTC)
Pilkington20876

Question 

What is IOSH doing to support HS Freelance Ltd who are now losing work and contract because of the blind focus of HMRC and The Late  chancellor P Hammond.

Thirty years in HS just about to go under along with other Freelance specilaist a lost to the treasure of an estimate £6 billion on the 6th April and a total revenue loss off £206 billion a year.

The end client doesnt undersatnd and the majority have made all contract roles blanket inside IR35 which is not how the system has been developed favours HMRC  

So much for focus on the new compentancy system and the review of Chartered status, focus on the real issue people losing their lively hoods.

IR35  

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 01 March 2020 19:24:20(UTC)
Ian Bell2

IR 35 tax rules are extremely short sighted and having a major impact on many people.

The IR35 changes have certainly ruined my pension plans.

The stupid thing is from what I can see the HMRC will receive lower tax payments from most freelancers/contractors.

The perceived claim that freelancers/contractors pay less tax than PAYE staff is utter nonsense. We may not pay via personal taxes, but we pay via business taxes.

My estimate is, if I'm forced back into PAYE roles is that I will pay circa £17000 less tax per year.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 01 March 2020 20:43:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

Put a different aspect on this - a few have fiddled HMRC exploiting exemptions. The blunt instrument has now been brought in to force. As usual Captain Law Abiding is now penalised for the actions of the few. Tried opening a bank account lately - particularly without snail mail bills as proof of identity and address? Rules to stop criminal money laundering succeeding in inconveniencing the innocent environmentally conscious (paperless) yet criminals still manage to secure accounts to aid push fraud.
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 01 March 2020 20:43:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

Put a different aspect on this - a few have fiddled HMRC exploiting exemptions. The blunt instrument has now been brought in to force. As usual Captain Law Abiding is now penalised for the actions of the few. Tried opening a bank account lately - particularly without snail mail bills as proof of identity and address? Rules to stop criminal money laundering succeeding in inconveniencing the innocent environmentally conscious (paperless) yet criminals still manage to secure accounts to aid push fraud.
Ian Bell2  
#5 Posted : 02 March 2020 01:19:35(UTC)
Ian Bell2

'Fiddled' if its legal it isn't fiddling, working/operating within existing tax law. Tax minimisation is not illegal. Tax avoidance is. There are no morals when it comes to taxation.

Instead of HMRC tackling the massive tax loops holes that the large corporates use to minimise tax, they prefer to go for the easier small guy.

I guess the reason why HMRC won't tackle the tax loop holes that the corporates exploit is because of the company and friends our ruling politicians keep. I mean why does 1 pretty rich man (who just happens to be PM) have his Xmas holiday paid for by another very rich man?? It would be called corruption in any other country.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 02 March 2020 08:34:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

You are right it was totally abhorent of Tony Blair to stay at accommodation owned by Silvio Berlusconi

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 02 March 2020 08:34:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

You are right it was totally abhorent of Tony Blair to stay at accommodation owned by Silvio Berlusconi

Ian Bell2  
#8 Posted : 02 March 2020 17:43:11(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Indeed, our politicians are as bad as each other, regardless of the colour of T-Shirt they wear.

thanks 1 user thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
webstar on 03/03/2020(UTC)
Wailes900134  
#9 Posted : 03 March 2020 06:32:04(UTC)
Wailes900134

The original question was what is IOSH doing with regard to this aspect of importance to a significant number of its U.K. Members...? I'm not sure the Institution is focused on supporting the needs of its U.K. members currently. And nothing I've read in answer to the original question would help me come to any other conclusion.
Ian Bell2  
#10 Posted : 03 March 2020 07:54:06(UTC)
Ian Bell2

There was a white wash report issued a couple of days ago, reviewing the IR35 changes. The conclusion was - carry on. The IR35 changes are reasonable and fair. IOSH will make no difference at this late stage.

The stated aim is that those deemed inside IR35 should pay similar taxes to similar PAYE staff - which is nonsesne, I estimate I will pay considerably higher taxes than an equivalent PAYE guy. I also have legitmate living away business costs which will no longer be offset against tax.

Fair - thats one thing IR35 isn't.

Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 03 March 2020 16:13:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

If the system is meant to bring balance aren't your away from home costs the same items covered by HMRC guidance 490 Employee Expenses? Personally always been PAYE under an employer

Edited by user 03 March 2020 21:50:32(UTC)  | Reason: clarity

Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 03 March 2020 16:13:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

If the system is meant to bring balance aren't your away from home costs the same items covered by HMRC guidance 490 Employee Expenses? Personally always been PAYE under an employer

Edited by user 03 March 2020 21:50:32(UTC)  | Reason: clarity