Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Doobrifurkin  
#1 Posted : 13 April 2021 10:37:40(UTC)
Doobrifurkin

Hello to you all, Have any of my peers had any experience of employees buying and bringing in the new style of safety footwear trainers that are being sold on the common websites and not in the usual locations? We've had our first incident whereby a manager hasn't been checking the standard of his staff shoes and when they were issued the last pair of shoes / boots. These trainers do not meet our corporate policy and as such this individuals was adamant they were manufactured to the correct standards but he or we can't prove is so they are not allowed. What stories have you got if any? Many thanks, WDS
CptBeaky  
#2 Posted : 13 April 2021 11:10:07(UTC)
CptBeaky

Our employees are allowed to source their own footwear (for which they can claim up to £30 back from us). I ask that they provide us with links to the footwear purchased and/or the data sheet before they are allowed to wear them in the factory.

I also offer advice to them as to what standards they are looking for. So far we haven't had any issues.

For the record we also also offer a wide selection in house that all meet the standard.

Ackashaun  
#3 Posted : 20 April 2021 14:43:48(UTC)
Ackashaun

We insist that we provide employees with PPE, we have had several cases where "the younger brigade" have provided their own all singing, all dancing, bright coloured safety boots/PPE. The problem as you state, is that it makes it hard to track whether they are meeting standards. As a chemical company we require anti-static as a basic, steel or composite toes, mid sole protection, and depending on the plant, a certain degree of chemical or oil protection. I think it would put any employer in a predicament if an employee was injured with self provided PPE that was not up to standard. We provide a wide choice so employees can pick and choose what they want (within reason). What I have found is buying a pair of decent safety boots, at say £60 a pair far outlasts a pair that costs half the price (in some cases lasting 3 times), saves money in the long run and the wearer gets the comfort, protection and style they need/want. 

Kate  
#4 Posted : 20 April 2021 14:52:38(UTC)
Kate

I adopted the same policy as Cpt Beaky.

As long as you set the standard it doesn't matter what they look like or who procures them.