Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
paul.skyrme  
#1 Posted : 21 April 2021 09:54:18(UTC)
paul.skyrme

Hello all,

This is not for me as I am currently laid up paralysed and housebound from cancer!

I have heard of a scenario where an escalator failed, didn't collapse, but the steps "messed up" and damaged the landing and themselves.

It might need a full replacement of the steps and step chain.

This is a workplace where the staff use the escalator, and it is also for public access.

Nobody was injured, the unit shut down, and the area was cordoned off very quickly to minimise the potential for any further damage or injury.

It's a kind of collapse, at height, as it was the upper end of the escalator, but an escalator is machinery under the MD/SMSR, not a lift under the LD/Lifts regulations.

An escalator is not subject to a LOLER inspection, but it requires regular inspections and maintenance for safety under PUWER.

The maintenance is contracted out on these units to a major organisation, and cost savings are not a priority. Safety and uptime are, so it is maintained pretty much regardless of cost, or at least should be.

So, can anyone square this up with being RIDDOR reportable, please?

I can't see it myself.

It's serious, very serious IMHO, but not RIDDOR reportable.

I am very open to ideas because it really interests me, and it'll help me keep sane stuck in a chair all day, unable to get up!

Thanks in advance.

Edited by user 21 April 2021 13:29:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chris42  
#2 Posted : 21 April 2021 11:16:08(UTC)
chris42

My take is if it is not lifting equipment then it does not meet the criteria in RIDDOR for a dangerous occurrence.

From the HSE web site: https://www.hse.gov.uk/work-equipment-machinery/passenger-lifts.htm

"LOLER does not apply to escalators or any travellators / moving walkways which transport people, even though they may 'lift' people from one level to another. Such equipment is covered by regulation 19 of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations."

Chris

HSSnail  
#3 Posted : 21 April 2021 12:39:26(UTC)
HSSnail

I agree - while its a seriouse incident it does not fit any of the dangerouse occurance categories. No RIDDOR.