Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark-W  
#1 Posted : 21 April 2021 07:47:11(UTC)
Mark-W

I have a good friend who runs a tree surgery business. I'm not involved with his business in any way.

He posts a pic of his stump grinder on it's side recently on social media. I jokingly said about a near miss report. His answer was no need as there was no injury.

Anyway a bit of back and forth and it seems he has no dedicated H&S advisor, and this then led to a discussion about responsibility for his employees.

His interpretation is that if they are qualified, and conduct their own CPD then if they have an accident at work or cause injury then he's not liable because they are suitably qualified.

He has more than adequate insurance cover but I'm trying to educate him that he needs to sort his [expletive deleted] out and ensure he's got his ducks in a row.

How would you approach this without being pushy and over bearing. And not wanting to lose a good friend

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 21 April 2021 07:58:13(UTC)
HSSnail

And not wanting to lose a good friend

Its difficult - your friend (as you clearly know is wronge) you could find case law to show him, but if you have given him friendly advice i would leave it there. Sounds like hes not willing to listen.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
Mark-W on 21/04/2021(UTC)
MikeKelly  
#3 Posted : 21 April 2021 14:58:52(UTC)
MikeKelly

Hi Mark,

I had a friend just like that in Australia when I worked on a large steel works-he had a cavalier approach to safety, and was run over and killed by one of the iron ore trains he was responsible for.

A great shame as he was a really nice bloke and we got on well, but......

Regards

Mike

thanks 1 user thanked MikeKelly for this useful post.
Mark-W on 26/04/2021(UTC)