Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mac1977  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2021 18:54:09(UTC)
mac1977

Can anyone kindly give me some ideas or inspiration on this one please? I can't seem to get my head around it enough to forumulate a confident response. Everytime I write it out I seem to go off point a bit.

the question is:

"describe external factors influencing active health and safety monitoring systems in relation to quality management requirements for documentation."

I'm stuggling to link EXTERNAL FACTORS with QUALITY MANAGEMENT REQUIREMENTS and DOCUMENTATION together.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to formulate an answer which links these three things together in a way that makes sense? What are they asking for?

Any help eternally appreciated!

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2021 10:39:22(UTC)
peter gotch

Morning Mac

External factors would include the regulators - HSE and others

But also whole supply chain considerations - e.g. your clients and those thow supply to you.

Quite often a client will demand that their supplier conforms to certain standards e.g. have their management systems approved by an "independent" organisation against e.g. ISO 9001 - increasingly that has extended to ISO 14001 and 45001, and sometimes more.

So perhaps you are moving towards integrated management systems (IMS) which would provide a direct link between your health and safety policy and procedures and your quality management systems, but even if not going down the IMS route similar principles are likely to be applied.

So, as example how would you show that the heealth and safety manual that your workers are using on a remote site is actually up to date?

Hope this helps.

Good luck, Peter

chris42  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2021 15:34:17(UTC)
chris42

I have not done an NVQ so do not know what they are looking for specifically. However, my two pence worth which you are free to ignore would be:

I would turn it about a bit while thinking about it. Firstly what does a management system require of documents = they need to be controlled. What documents are we talking about = H&S. What H&S documents might you have for H&S monitoring = pre use checks for equipment to prove it was done (as example) or Occupational health monitoring (as another example). What external influences may have an effect on these = HSE for pre use checks may have guidance / ACOP, HSE for Occ Health, but also with an Occ health document there may be data protection applied to the info and so the document you get may simply say fit or not fit and to get anything more would require consent another document which would need to be controlled.

Obviously the HSE are not the only ones to produce guidance, there will be specific industry bodies. H&S monitoring Fork truck pre use checks the HSE has guidance and may expect to be shown. Control of this document would require some sort of version control to ensure the operative is using the correct instruction / paperwork (remember procedures / instructions / records are all documents -paper and electronic).

I would use examples from your own workplace of documents you keep and where there may be some form of external influence that may guide their content or be required as evidence should something go wrong.

Chris

chocolatekittykatt  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2021 07:53:13(UTC)
chocolatekittykatt

So ive just done my level 5 question on this... this is what i put.

I considered aspects and impacts of stakeholders relating to the business (i control our ISO's so this was a bit easy for me)

HSE/ Legislation – If the company were to ever have a visit from the HSE they could impose enforcement or improvement notices which could see a stop in active operations on our client sites or within our own offices. Carrying out regular checks of government and HSE legislation & guidance and reviewing to see whether company processes/ policies require updating in line with any amendments which shall be cascaded to our employees and subcontractors where appropriate through internal comms, TBT or awareness training.

Local council/ neighbours – can impose restricted times to carry out works on construction sites, or specifically noisy works such as drilling or testing of alarm sounders to more sociable hours i.e: 9am – 3pm. We have a site that has dust monitoring within the council band but update the main contractor on peak increases in dust which ‘may’ have come from the construction project itself. They could impose stand downs to bring the average monitoring down to recommended levels based on previous years monitoring data.

Insurers – previous claims or high risk activities. Depending on regularity or repeat claims that could come through, insurers could refuse to insure the business, which would see the company cease trading or may omit to cover certain work aspects if they are too hgh risk to the insuring company. We have had issues this year in renewing our public liability and professional indemnity, we have had to take out several policies of varying amounts … we assume this is due to Grenfell Tower.

Client – imposing new credentials or schemes to abide by which could delay commencement of works until approved by the client/ governing body. We have recently had to join up to Achilles Building in Confidence in order to be considered for a tender. We already have Achilles UVDB but that’s for the utilities companies and sharing of info between similar platforms is apparently unheard of… in a similar concept to the SSIP schemes Safecontractor, CHAS, SMAS and constructionline. If a client refuses to accept one that you have even though it’s a totally valid and applicable certificate you could lose out on works.

Personal Preferences (GDPR PII) – some operatives may request that their data is removed from any group sampling or monitoring and may decline to provide individual assessment (similar vein to anti-vaxxers), being able to notify operatives of intended checks – we have a site that carrys out regular ‘right to work’ checks where a suitable form of ID is required to be presented. Those that do not provide ID are not allowed on site until this is signed off. They have been ‘stung’ in the past for having illegal workers on site due to poor subcontractor checks.

thanks 1 user thanked chocolatekittykatt for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 23/07/2021(UTC)