Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JoeLyall  
#1 Posted : 09 September 2021 11:31:52(UTC)
JoeLyall

Afternoon all,

just a quick post to ask for any tips / pointers for the upcoming new syllabus open book NEBOSH Construction Cert, preferably from People who've already undertaken the new style NC1 OBE but would like to hear from anyone who may have useful insight.

I did the NEBOSH GC open book back in March and passed but i didn't realise the format that was desired for marking criteria until half way through and had to work back on myself, therefore i'd like to be a bit more prepared this time around!

All input appreciated!

thegrantickle  
#2 Posted : 09 November 2021 18:57:18(UTC)
thegrantickle

Hello, I did this (and passed) earlier this year. Similar to you, I did the general OBE about 6 months prior, too!

The first thing I would say is that the construction cert obe is a lot more work than the general certificate. Instead of having to submit your RA seperately, there is a RA section as part of the OBE. You get 48h to complete rather than 24, and I would say you do need it. My first bit of advice is plan your time effectively. I took the first day to answer all the questions, and the second day to do the RA and associated bits. 

When you're writing your answers, figure out early which way you'd prefer to write your responses. Would you rather note the legislation and then oprovide examples from the passage, or would you rather note the example and then explain the relevant legislation behind it?

There were quite a few examples in my paper of indirect consequences, so remember to think beyond what is immediately obvious.

There was a question on positive safety morals which I felt was a bit vaguely/ambiguously worded, so I just tried to explan all the good/proactive things they'd done.

When it comes to the RA, it is the same format as the one you have to do for the general cert, just be sure to list every possible control you can think of/find in the ACoP, even if you think it's overkill.

I quite enjoyed doing it to be honest. Number one tip is just read the scenario a good few times before you do anything, and then again read the relevant parts when you do each question. 

Hope that helps, and good luck!

narcisafultz  
#3 Posted : 01 December 2021 04:24:17(UTC)
narcisafultz

I quite enjoyed doing it to be honest. Number one tip is just read the scenario a good few times before you do anything, and then again read the relevant parts when you do each question. 

happy mod

RVThompson  
#4 Posted : 01 December 2021 07:58:48(UTC)
RVThompson

Reported.

thanks 3 users thanked RVThompson for this useful post.
Alan Haynes on 01/12/2021(UTC), Roundtuit on 01/12/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 01/12/2021(UTC)