Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rob26  
#1 Posted : 03 May 2022 15:12:41(UTC)
Rob26

Just a quick question:

When operating a bench or pedal stool grinder, should you wear gloves? The use of gloves on rotating equipment is normally advised against; however, i have recently been on an abrasive wheel course and the trainer said it was okay to use gloves on a bench or pedal stool grinder. I understand that using a hand held angle grinder is okay to use gloves, but not a fixed grinder. Can anyone give some clarity on this point please.

CptBeaky  
#2 Posted : 03 May 2022 15:28:25(UTC)
CptBeaky

We only allow gloves when holding a piece of sufficient length that there is no chance of coming into contact with the abrasive wheel (i.e sharpening a chisel).

In practise gloves are never worn, the risk of entanglement is too great.

thanks 2 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
paul.skyrme on 03/05/2022(UTC), Rob26 on 06/07/2022(UTC)
firesafety101  
#3 Posted : 04 May 2022 12:39:48(UTC)
firesafety101

I have experience of incorrect gloves used when drilling.

A lady was operating two different powered machines, one a drill the other a grinder.

She wore a tight fitting glove at the drill and a loose fitting glove at the grinder, which were both risk assessed indivudually.

Problen arose when she failed to change back to close fitting glove for the drill.  That became tangled in the drill bit and her hand was dragged to contact by the drill.

Close fitting gloves may be ok.

thanks 1 user thanked firesafety101 for this useful post.
Rob26 on 06/07/2022(UTC)