Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aaronhse  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2022 10:45:12(UTC)
aaronhse

Hello everyone, we all are familiar with the term LTI in our daily jobs related to health and safety, which is a commonly used indicator for Health and Safety performance. However, I am really curious where this term originate from? I checked OSHA and UK HSE but failed to find the origin. For example, OSHA is using the term 'Lost workday case' other than LTI. Thank you in advance.
peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 20 July 2022 14:12:19(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Aaron

My guess is that the concept (not necessarily the term) has been around ever since people started compiling statistics for work-related injuries (and illness).

UK accident reporting requirements were initially introduced in the 19th Century. Possibly the first requirement was in the Factories Act 1844 - according to Eddie Crooks in "The Unrelenting Machine", this required the reporting of any accident which resulted in injury of severity such that the victim could not return to work by 9am the following day. 

However, various legislators across the Globe have set parameters as to what should be reported and/or recorded and what need not.

Those vary dramatically - so, some would say losing an hour of productive time counts as an LTI, whereas US OSHA doesn't count the day of the accident and Europe (at the time heavily influenced by the UK) chose Over 3 Days excluding the day of the accident as its parameter with the UK subsquently rewriting RIDDOR to set an Over 7 Days parameter for reporting but retaining the O3D for recording (had to do this to stay compliant with Eurostat requirements pre Brexit).

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Self and Hasty on 27/07/2022(UTC)
aaronhse  
#3 Posted : 20 July 2022 14:41:38(UTC)
aaronhse

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Hi Aaron

My guess is that the concept (not necessarily the term) has been around ever since people started compiling statistics for work-related injuries (and illness).

UK accident reporting requirements were initially introduced in the 19th Century. Possibly the first requirement was in the Factories Act 1844 - according to Eddie Crooks in "The Unrelenting Machine", this required the reporting of any accident which resulted in injury of severity such that the victim could not return to work by 9am the following day. 

However, various legislators across the Globe have set parameters as to what should be reported and/or recorded and what need not.

Those vary dramatically - so, some would say losing an hour of productive time counts as an LTI, whereas US OSHA doesn't count the day of the accident and Europe (at the time heavily influenced by the UK) chose Over 3 Days excluding the day of the accident as its parameter with the UK subsquently rewriting RIDDOR to set an Over 7 Days parameter for reporting but retaining the O3D for recording (had to do this to stay compliant with Eurostat requirements pre Brexit).

Thank you so much, Peter, really helpful.
stevedm  
#4 Posted : 03 September 2022 08:14:17(UTC)
stevedm

One of the very first terms referred back to what they called time and motion studies where productivity and the human use of time was first looked at...I am not sure but I think you will find it sort of morphed into what we know today as loast time as a result of an injury...

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 30 January 2023 11:29:16(UTC)
peter gotch

Well spotted Eagle Eyed Andrew!

Scusack  
#6 Posted : 17 March 2023 10:21:33(UTC)
Scusack

Interesting question, sorry I'm late to the party.  Having worked in H&S since the 1980's, I always knew it as LTA (lost time accident) not LTI.  The first example of anything remotely resembling this is:

Factories Act 1833

4 Providing for unavoidable Time lost in Cases of Accident

And be it further enacted, That when any extraordinary Accident shall happen to the Steam Engine, Water-wheel, Weirs, or Watercourses, Main Shafting, Main Gearing, or Gas Apparatus of any such Mill, Manufactory, or Buildings, by which not less than Three Hours Labour at any One Time shall be lost, then and in every such Case such Time may be worked up at the Rate of One Hour a Day in addition to the aforesaid and herein-after restricted Hours of Labour for the Twelve following working Days, but not after.

thanks 3 users thanked Scusack for this useful post.
peter gotch on 17/03/2023(UTC), Kate on 17/03/2023(UTC), Roundtuit on 17/03/2023(UTC)