Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Richard#  
#1 Posted : 10 July 2012 20:36:56(UTC)
Richard#

What does RMAPS stand for - seeing an earlier thread I suspect it is some kind of membership level???
stuie  
#2 Posted : 10 July 2012 20:53:14(UTC)
stuie

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/RMAPS Registered Member of the Association for Project Safety or Receptor Model Applied to Patterns In Space So in safety context I guess its probably the former!!
Betta Spenden  
#3 Posted : 10 July 2012 23:17:24(UTC)
Betta Spenden

It's also the navigation tool for operation with popular on-line and off- line maps - Android Freeware Apps and Games. Handy for those pesky little client SHEF audits in the middle of nowhere.
Stedman  
#4 Posted : 11 July 2012 11:55:30(UTC)
Stedman

This was introduced by the Association of Project Safety to identify their members who had passed their on-line exam for the 2007 CDM Regulations. If I recall, the original idea was that full members were required to pass this exam in order to retain their MaPS status and those who did not pass or took the exam being granted associate membership, however after a poor uptake and the cut off date twice being postponed, my impression was that this was eventually introduced in order to retain the volume of membership. In fairness the message did eventually get through and most CDM-C practitioners who already had MaPS status did the conversion exam. I suspect that we shall have another conversion exam in 2014 and it will be interesting to see what happens then. Maybe RRMaPS, SRMaPS or 2014RMaPS?
peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2021 13:09:29(UTC)
peter gotch

To bring this thread back to topicality, APS changed the rules in 2015, following amendments to the CDM Regulations which were designed to put a halt to the role of the Client's "friend" - first the Planning Supervisor, then the CDM Co-ordinator and now the Principal Designer being done by health and safety professionals with limited understanding of design and/or construction processes - rather than health and safety issues on construction sites.

When APS was originally founded a full Member of IOSH could walk into what was then denoted MaPS.

Now to get to RMaPS you need a high level qualification in construction design or management + lots of experience in design and/or site management + a health and safety qualification.

A health and safety practitioner with CMIOSH status and some understanding of construction health and safety can get IMaPS status, a level down from RMaPS.

The wording of the CDM 2015 legislation for the role of Principal Designer is supposed to ensure that those doing this have much better understanding of construction design than was often the case on projects subject to the previous iterations of CDM.

For many design organisations this will require a significant investment in health and safety training for their CONSTRUCTION professionals if they are to discharge the role of Principal Designer though health and safety professionals can support this role in an advisory capacity.

P