Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jamie1975  
#1 Posted : 01 September 2015 12:55:36(UTC)
Jamie1975

Hello, I am getting close to completion of my Nebosh Diploma and would like to get my CV improved and to the best I can. Is there any recommendations out there that maybe able to help me. I am currently in QA in the NW but would like to get some interest and get my CV out there, have applied for a few positions with no joy and think it is quite hard for me to tell the true story, as I have been very fortunate to be heavily involved in H&S although my job title is Day Chemist any help please just let me know or send me info about how I can achieve this Regards Jamie
David Bannister  
#2 Posted : 01 September 2015 17:13:45(UTC)
David Bannister

Titles are largely irrelevant, as is a job description. Achievements, attainments and abilities are important. What have YOU done? How have YOU made things happen? What makes YOU a person worth employing?
jodieclark1510  
#3 Posted : 02 September 2015 08:08:49(UTC)
jodieclark1510

I give a brief statement about myself at the top which generally sums me up- so what I graduated in at uni, what I am currently studying and a general overview of my experience- they can see in a couple of sentences what level I am at and what kind of person I am. I know its not CV but I also have a tailored letter of application for health and safety positions- it is what I want to do so I want everything to reflect that. There are some very good examples online that you can get a basic idea from and then re-write to suit yourself. And be honest- if you don't have experience, say it- but you are willing to learn? Big plus points for alot of jobs.
Asante30200  
#4 Posted : 02 September 2015 09:23:56(UTC)
Asante30200

Jamie1975 wrote:
Hello, I am getting close to completion of my Nebosh Diploma and would like to get my CV improved and to the best I can. Is there any recommendations out there that maybe able to help me. I am currently in QA in the NW but would like to get some interest and get my CV out there, have applied for a few positions with no joy and think it is quite hard for me to tell the true story, as I have been very fortunate to be heavily involved in H&S although my job title is Day Chemist any help please just let me know or send me info about how I can achieve this Regards Jamie
Asante30200  
#5 Posted : 02 September 2015 09:27:59(UTC)
Asante30200

Be honest and show what you can do . (adding value) to the team or organisation. No need to "talk the talk" and "can,t walk the walk". First impression counts so smile and be at ease.
lumusislight  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2020 09:06:37(UTC)
lumusislight

Do I need to include additional online courses in my CV? I have finished the distance learning mode of NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety at Northumbria University. I paid £2995 for it.

lumusislight  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2020 09:10:37(UTC)
lumusislight

Originally Posted by: lumusislight Go to Quoted Post

Do I need to include additional online courses in my CV? I have finished the distance learning course within the applied essay writer mode of NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety at Northumbria University. I paid £2995 for it.

I thought about an unpaid internship first, but then decided to try my luck at paid options. Are my chances high?

jodieclark1510  
#8 Posted : 03 February 2020 13:51:29(UTC)
jodieclark1510

I thought about an unpaid internship first, but then decided to try my luck at paid options. Are my chances high?

Its dependant on alot of factors. My first role was a split role, so I did a bit of Health and Safety but also a bit of PA work, both sides of the role gave me valuable experience and transferable skills. I then went into a HSEQ trainee role, now a coordinator, looking to progress once Chartered with the same company. If split roles are not your thing, junior roles could be an option also. They will be lower pay but they can be great stepping stones.