Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hope Jacob  
#1 Posted : 24 December 2018 10:14:41(UTC)
Hope Jacob

Hello, after a fair few years as a generalist health and safety manager I’d really like to upskill/retrain to do a food safety inspection role. I can’t afford to give up the day job, so would be looking to train part time/distance learning.

Can anyone recommend a training path for this? Has anyone made this career switch or done it the other way round?
jwk  
#2 Posted : 24 December 2018 15:35:38(UTC)
jwk

Hi Hope,

My current team have all had careers in food safety before switching to H&S. 5 of them were EHOs, one was a consultant and did H&S/Food safety for a retail chain. They all have relevant degrees, mostly in Environmental Health, so I would guess its' a competitive market with quite a high bar. Aprt from a degree, I'd suggest at least Level 4 in food safety, though that in itself is tough, expensive and quite hard to come by,

John

Thomas Baxter  
#3 Posted : 31 December 2018 11:40:39(UTC)
Thomas Baxter

Hi Hope,

It all depends on what role you wish to pursue. If you're interested in a Quality role within food manufacturing then you'll need to start at L2. My current role has developed to the extent that I now include Quality and Food Safety as part of my remit. I have completed L4 courses in Food Safety Management and HACCP. You will need to start at L2 in both subjects to gain the underpinning knowledge before you can progress. However, if you want to become an EHO for a Local Authority you'll need a relevant degree.

Regards,

Thom