Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RuiChui  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2019 03:48:27(UTC)
RuiChui

Hi. I was wondering if I could get some advice on what route to take in order to change career.

I have had several jobs, including chemical laboratory technician (18 months) and food manufacturing (24 months). However, most of my work experience is related with private security services (20 years). Throughout these activities, I have been exposed to some H&S compliance.

In 2016, I have completed a BSc (Hons) focusing on Environmental Sciences and Energy with The Open University, and in 2017 I have undergone CPD in Renewable Energy.

I have looked into NCRQ and a MSc EHS (P/T Distance Learning) by the University of Sunderland. They are both accredited for a GradIOSH, but the former should take me a year to complete, while the latter should take 3 years. I would like some advice on what would be the best option (NCRQ vs MSc) if I wanted to move straight from security services into the environmental/energy sector after graduation?

Thanks in anticipation.

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2019 07:32:59(UTC)
George_Young

Hi

I have completed the NCRQ, which took me 6 months, I am now currently stuyding a MSc in Health, Safety and Envirovmental Management, which is 2 years with the University of Hull.

If I was you I would go straight for the MSc as you want to get into environemtal, NCRQ will not offer you anything towards that.

thanks 1 user thanked George_Young for this useful post.
RuiChui on 07/01/2019(UTC)
WatsonD  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2019 10:23:02(UTC)
WatsonD

As George has alluded to, look for what qualifications are more sought after in the area you wish to work.

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
ScottRoberts1995  
#4 Posted : 07 January 2019 10:51:30(UTC)
ScottRoberts1995

NCRQ is a Level 5 qualification an MSc in a Level 7.A BSc is Level 6, if you are only concerned about getting to GradIOSH the quickest then the NCRQ is the best option. If not then the MSc is the better option with only a PHD topping that level of education.

I personally have gone for the MSc option out of the two.  

However, if you're going to concentrate on the environmental/energy sector then I would recommend looking into IEMA accredidation rather than IOSH. This is the membership which is really going to help you in terms of proving environmental management competence.   

thanks 1 user thanked ScottRoberts1995 for this useful post.
George_Young  
#5 Posted : 07 January 2019 11:05:35(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: ScottRoberts1995 Go to Quoted Post

NCRQ is a Level 5 qualification

​​​​​​​I think you have been misinformed, NCRQ is a level 6 qaulification and may only be the faster route to getting GradIOSH if the effort is put in, as NCRQ is self study at your own pace it can take upto 3 years to complete

jwk  
#6 Posted : 07 January 2019 11:39:12(UTC)
jwk

George, you are correct in a way, but not in another way. NCRQ is certainly Level 6, however a Masters Degree is Level 7. Recent changes to levels have bumped them both up one. So a Masters reflects a higher level of learning than any of the current crop of H&S Diplomas,

John

Edited by user 07 January 2019 11:39:57(UTC)  | Reason: Quote didn't work properly

George_Young  
#7 Posted : 07 January 2019 11:42:31(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: jwk Go to Quoted Post

George, you are correct in a way, but not in another way. NCRQ is certainly Level 6, however a Masters Degree is Level 7. Recent changes to levels have bumped them both up one. So a Masters reflects a higher level of learning than any of the current crop of H&S Diplomas,

John

I never once compared MSc with the NCRQ, All I was doing was correcting scottroberts that NCRQ was indeed a level 6 and not a 5 as he stated.

jwk  
#8 Posted : 07 January 2019 11:43:46(UTC)
jwk

Fair enough George,

John

ScottRoberts1995  
#9 Posted : 08 January 2019 15:50:35(UTC)
ScottRoberts1995

Originally Posted by: George_Young Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ScottRoberts1995 Go to Quoted Post

NCRQ is a Level 5 qualification

​​​​​​​I think you have been misinformed, NCRQ is a level 6 qaulification and may only be the faster route to getting GradIOSH if the effort is put in, as NCRQ is self study at your own pace it can take upto 3 years to complete

Thanks George, I hadn't realised that the NCRQ had been bumped up.

In terms of my timings, I was just referring to what RuiChui had said in the original post about it should take a year to complete.

ScottRoberts1995  
#10 Posted : 08 January 2019 15:59:12(UTC)
ScottRoberts1995

Thanks George, I didn't realise that it had been bumped up.

I said it would be a faster way because of the original post, when RuiChui said they should be able to complete it in a year.

RuiChui  
#11 Posted : 08 January 2019 19:06:49(UTC)
RuiChui

Thanks everyone, for the time taken to respond to my query.

In terms of timings, as I'm only able to do any courses via distance learning in part-time mode, the MSc EHS will necessarily take three years to complete, and the DipNCRQ will take up to one year, considering my personal circumstances. The DipNCRQ is actually 470 hours of study, thus, if one does 20 hours per week as suggested by the Masters programme, then it will take approximately 24 weeks to complete - less than six months.

I would like to find case studies of people that actually did a career move after having completed the DipNCRQ. If you know of anyone, please let me know.

Regards,

Rui Viegas (AKA RuiChui)