Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vox  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2019 17:51:27(UTC)
vox

Hi

I have recently been working for 3 years as a Health & Safety Assistant in a warehouse distribution facility owned by an independent charity.  I have gained Health Safety experience from previous employment, & have Nebosh General & Environmental certificates, Tech Iosh membership.

I have an operational back ground having worked over 25  years as a Process Operator / Technician in the Chemical & upstream oil & gas industry.

I am actively seeking employment & aspire to be a successful Health & Safety professional but I’m feeling disappointed & frustrated at not being able to secure a new position I have had 4 interviews within the last 12months but I have not been able to gain a second interview or be offered a position.  

Feedback from employers suggests “I have relevant skills but they have offered the position to someone more suitable with similar industry experience”

I am based in the West Cheshire area willing to travel & looking to secure a Position in any industry in Health & Safety role on either a Permanent, Temporary, contract, part time or casual basis.  Also willing to take a work experience role to gain more experience.

I would appreciate any guidance or advice.

Thanks.

Steve W1  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2019 19:06:54(UTC)
Steve W1

My advise is quite simply dont give up trying. 4 interviews in 12 months is not a lot, get yourself on as many job agency sites as you can, get youself a really good CV and taylor it to the specific job you are applying for. 

Networking is always a good idea, get youself to and involved with your local IOSH group.

Good luck, and keep going.