Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Simon B  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2019 12:34:22(UTC)
Simon B

Hello all,

New member to Iosh forums and soon to be assossiate once i get my certificate through the post.

I have currently completed the NGC and am awaiting the certificates. I am very eager to get on and do some more courses, i have done my research. I would like some advice on what order i should do them in terms of what would be the quickest to achieve completion and would i actually benefit doing them. Heres the order i have them in:

National Fire Certicate- would only need to do the FC1 & FC2 and can be used in my current job once i have been trained and got experience. Would make me the only person in the organisation to be able to carry out our fire services.

Nebosh Health & Wellbeing certificate- No accrediation, maybe useful in my current job in terms of being able to provide another service in a HR capacity? Why do i want to do it, just purely it sounding interesting.

NCRQ Diploma- Gradiosh and eventual CMIOSH status. Very respected in my job and elsewhere. Will be the biggest and hardest course out of them all. Definetly not doing the nebosh or NVQ route, this is definetly my learning style.

So there you have it, im pretty sure after typing this out, that this way would be the most efficient beneficial way for me. But would appreciate your wisdom on this, it may come across that i am in a rush but i know this is a marthon and not a sprint.

hilary  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2019 12:39:26(UTC)
hilary

What is your job Simon?  Clearly, if you work for the fire brigade then the fire certificate would be optimal, however, in the NHS you might find health and wellbeing better. 

A little more information would give you a better response.

Simon B  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2019 14:01:40(UTC)
Simon B

I work in the Local Authority-Education sector.

We did provide low risk related fire services that made the organisation some money. But the person who used to do that has left and we cant afford to hire someone else or even have anyone in the organisation who can do it.

UncleFester  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2019 14:40:12(UTC)
UncleFester

Hi Simon and welcome to the forums.

You're the best person to decide what courses you want to do - I can see the reasoning that you have put behind each one and I can understand this. I think that the course with the broadest appeal to you would be the NCRQ Diploma as, if this best suits your learning style, then why would you consider another NEBOSH certificate?

In terms of what you could complete in the quickest time, then the NEBOSH courses are defined by their exam dates, so with a bit of planning you could see how long you would need to do these. You know already how the exams are structured and the amount of study that you need to put in. 

The NCRQ Diploma runs at your own learning pace but with adequate time to learn and complete assignments then timescales of 6 to 9 months have been reported - but it's not a race - so allow yourself a few hours per week for reading, research and assignments. Note that the assignments are timebound so you typically have two weeks from request to submission for most of them - and six weeks for the final assignment.

Good luck in whatever route you take.

Simon B  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2019 16:50:59(UTC)
Simon B

Originally Posted by: UncleFester Go to Quoted Post

Hi Simon and welcome to the forums.

You're the best person to decide what courses you want to do - I can see the reasoning that you have put behind each one and I can understand this. I think that the course with the broadest appeal to you would be the NCRQ Diploma as, if this best suits your learning style, then why would you consider another NEBOSH certificate?

In terms of what you could complete in the quickest time, then the NEBOSH courses are defined by their exam dates, so with a bit of planning you could see how long you would need to do these. You know already how the exams are structured and the amount of study that you need to put in. 

The NCRQ Diploma runs at your own learning pace but with adequate time to learn and complete assignments then timescales of 6 to 9 months have been reported - but it's not a race - so allow yourself a few hours per week for reading, research and assignments. Note that the assignments are timebound so you typically have two weeks from request to submission for most of them - and six weeks for the final assignment.

Good luck in whatever route you take.

Thanks for the speedy response UncleFester. The reasoning for another Nebosh certifciate, in particualr the Fire. Is so that i will be able to get into the fire related tasks that my organisation can provide. Thus hopefully making me a bit more valuable to my employer.

hilary  
#6 Posted : 20 February 2019 08:58:20(UTC)
hilary

Simon

Sorry, yes, welcome to the forums.

I would say that if you are going to do additional studying, head for something that is valuable to you, rather than to your organisation.  I concur that taking the next step to a degree level qualification will be the most valuable to you in your career.  If the organisation wants to get rid of you, they won't concern themselves with whether you have one or two NEBOSH Certificates, they will get rid whatever happens so, therefore, put yourself first and think about what will be best for you going forwards. 

Good luck with whatever route you take.  There are loads of really great people on this site who will be able to help you via the study forum if you get stuck with any of your studying or subjects so keep coming back.