Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EDuffy  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2019 10:32:13(UTC)
EDuffy

I'm going to be recruiting for an HSE graduate in the next couple of months.  The plan is structured over 3 years with funding and support for training i.e. NEBOSH (Cert and Diploma), IEMA, Auditing etc with a structured programme to achieve CMIOSH after 3 years.  We're based in Bristol. 

Having never recruited for a graduate before, has anyone any experience or suggestions on how to approach the interview stage with them?  I had though about a presentation perhaps on a subject to do with either a professional or personal achievement, challenges encountered and how they engaged with people.  I'm trying to rack my brains as every interview I've done has involved competency based assessment but mindful that the graduate may not have any HSE experience.  I'm throwing it out there for some creative / practical suggestions!

Also, can anyone give me an idea of a starting salary?  I have a figure in my head but I want to see if I'm being tight!

TIA

JayPownall  
#2 Posted : 22 March 2019 11:08:27(UTC)
JayPownall

Presentation is always a good one. Breaks the ice but also gives you an idea of their ability to communicate effectively, and in a relatively short timescale. Competency based questioning is one aspect of the interview, and should be included. They can have competencies in areas that may not be H&S specific, but certainly will be important – for example conflict management, working with peers, autonomous working etc. I’d be asking why health and safety as a career.

Salary wise – multiple factors may play a part in deciding a figure. If they are a Graduate (irrespective of what studies you may put them through) – average salaries for grad schemes hover around the 30-33k mark (for the big companies) 24-28k for smaller. Worth thinking about where in the organisational structure you envisage them being post the scheme (grade/level/responsibilities), and mapping the salary accordingly.  

Jamie

EDuffy  
#3 Posted : 22 March 2019 15:42:31(UTC)
EDuffy

Hi Jamie, good point about the competency based questions, thank you.  I really appreciate your input so thank you for taking the time :-)

SNS  
#4 Posted : 22 March 2019 23:35:59(UTC)
SNS

Might be a strange question but - why specify a graduate? are you specifying a subject and class of degree? or university of origin?

Your company may be eligible for apprentice funding for such training as you have outlined - for any candidate not holding a degree?

thanks 2 users thanked SNS for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 01/04/2019(UTC), Martin Fieldingt on 16/05/2019(UTC)
peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 23 March 2019 11:58:09(UTC)
peter gotch

I'm with SNS - why are you specifying a graduate, and in what sort of discipline.

If you are prepared to put this person through NEBOSH Certificate as a starting point, what do you want them to do, particularly if you think that getting them to CMIOSH in 3 years is a realistic goal?

All very difficult to answer your Q, especially as we don't know what sort of organisation you work for.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 01/04/2019(UTC)
ScottRoberts1995  
#6 Posted : 27 March 2019 13:22:21(UTC)
ScottRoberts1995

Personally, I'd make contact with a few of the Universitys which offer H&S Degrees/Masters and try to go in straight at that level. That is the only way that achieving CMIOSH within 3 years would even be possible. Otherwise you will have to fund certificate, diploma (2 - 3 years of learing realistically) and then try to get them to CMIOSH.

Whereas recruiting straight out of one of those courses will mean eligibility for GradIOSH. Then a 3 year scheme, a better chance of getting them to CMIOSH.

Big companies such as Rolls Royce start grads on £28500 with £2000 joining bonus.  

gpevans  
#7 Posted : 29 March 2019 09:49:51(UTC)
gpevans

This is something that I am looking at for my company.

I'd be looking for a Grad within H&S and over 2 years place them in different business units to shadow and learn from the current H&S Managers, offer training and upskilling with the option of settling in the business unit they'd prefer after the course. 

EDuffy  
#8 Posted : 01 April 2019 14:08:51(UTC)
EDuffy

Thank you to all who responded.  I hadn't actually though about an apprentice scheme.  As for the Graduate title, I wasn't necesarily thinking about any particular discipline; perhaps environmental or sustainability management.  Can you tell it's more of a fact finding mission at this stage!  I'll ask the local colleges / universities for guidance - failing that I will go to a recruitment agency.

I also agree with the CMIOSH achieved in 3 years is too ambitious.

Slade2  
#9 Posted : 16 May 2019 09:29:02(UTC)
Slade2

I think you are looking for two seperate things.  

A graduate will already have a degree in the relevant subject you are looking for.  It would be possible to employ someone with a view to giving them the required 2 years experience and get the into a position where they could become CMIOSH - this would be post-grad.

The other alternative is to employe someone who is an undergraduate and pay for them to attend university on a day release program, although I`m not sure there is currently a course that is availible that would match your requirements but speaking to your local university might help and if there is a course depending on the size of your company the training part of the cost could be fully funded by the apprenticeship levy so look that up.