Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stuartmanager  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2019 14:24:05(UTC)
Stuartmanager

Hi all, hoping for some helpful advice on the feasability, practicality and implications of a career change from a site manager to a citb assesor. I'm 30 years old, currently a site manager (paye employee) for a main contractor and living in London. The above has served it's purpose as I have 2 investment properties and own my own flat. These cover most of my basic expenses each month as I'm not married and don't have any children. and I'm now looking to move sideways into something a little less stressful and bottom line based. I'd also like to work freelance and be a position to take time out to concentrate on professional development, maintenance of my rental properties, travel and spending time with my ageing parents. I've figured (perhaps naively!) that working as a freelance citb tutor/assesor for smsts/sssts/ipaf/pasma/slinger be an ideal fit for my needs and I genuinely find these topics much more stimulating than working to ever tightening construction programmes. I currently hold the following qualifications -smsts -first aid -pasma -ipaf 3a and 3b -cpcs slinger/signaler ap40 and cpcs red card -cpcs appointed person My intention is in the first instance to hand my notice in and start working as a slinger/signaler on short term contracts. This will allow me to take time off between sites to gain my qualification that I have identified as; (correct me if these are not necessary or I've missed something) -level 3 award in education and training -nebosh level 3 award in construction health and safety A lot of the jobs I have looked at often state applicant must be 'citb approved tutors for'...followed by the particular qualification being taught. I can't seem to find any information on this process. After the above where would this leave me? Able to jump straight into the classroom and likely to find work? I would be in a position to volunter/shadow assesors and cover holidays etc if needs be. Thoughts appreciated on the feasability of this and anything I may have missed. Thanks
peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 30 March 2019 12:37:50(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Stuart

Quite a lot of people have read what is a difficult question partly as a result of lack of paragraphs and capitalistion of abbreviations.

No responses.

Possibly partly a result of ease of readability, or lack of ease, but I guess perhaps not the best place to ask the question.

I would suspect that there are some forums out there for people working in the sort of field you are looking to enter. So may be some googling will find you a better place to discuss.

Stuartmanager  
#3 Posted : 30 March 2019 12:52:44(UTC)
Stuartmanager

Hi all, hoping for some helpful advice on the feasability, practicality and implications of a career change from a site manager to a citb assesor. I'm 30 years old, currently a site manager (paye employee) for a main contractor and living in London. The above has served it's purpose as I have 2 investment properties and own my own flat. These cover most of my basic expenses each month as I'm not married and don't have any children. and I'm now looking to move sideways into something a little less stressful and bottom line based. I'd also like to work freelance and be a position to take time out to concentrate on professional development, maintenance of my rental properties, travel and spending time with my ageing parents. I've figured (perhaps naively!) that working as a freelance citb tutor/assesor for smsts/sssts/ipaf/pasma/slinger be an ideal fit for my needs and I genuinely find these topics much more stimulating than working to ever tightening construction programmes. I currently hold the following qualifications -SMSTS -first aid -PASMA -IPAF 3a and 3b -CPCS slinger/signaler ap40 and CPCS red card -CPCS appointed person My intention is in the first instance to hand my notice in and start working as a slinger/signaler on short term contracts. This will allow me to take time off between sites to gain my qualification that I have identified as; (correct me if these are not necessary or I've missed something) -level 3 award in education and training -NEBOSH level 3 award in construction health and safety A lot of the jobs I have looked at often state applicant must be 'citb approved tutors for'...followed by the particular qualification being taught. I can't seem to find any information on this process. After the above where would this leave me? Able to jump straight into the classroom and likely to find work? I would be in a position to volunter/shadow assesors and cover holidays etc if needs be. Thoughts appreciated on the feasability of this and anything I may have missed. Thanks
Stuartmanager  
#4 Posted : 30 March 2019 12:56:51(UTC)
Stuartmanager

The paragraphs seem to disappear upon posting? Apologies I never use web forums!
RodJMShepherd  
#5 Posted : 22 May 2019 17:11:54(UTC)
RodJMShepherd

Hi Stuart,

If you think being an assessor isn't stressful you will be in for a huge shock. First of all you will need to do a Level 3 CAVA course and maybe PTLLS. Learning how to reference and populate a tracking sheet are frustrating to say the least. As for being freelance, HMRC and the IR35 are killing that stone dead. Your work is critiqued by an EQA (External Quality Auditor) and the decision the reach depends on how good their breakfast and drive were that day........think long and hard my friend!!

Pkirbyesquire  
#6 Posted : 23 May 2019 09:57:16(UTC)
Pkirbyesquire

And the pay is terrible.....

Clark34486  
#7 Posted : 23 May 2019 11:22:34(UTC)
Clark34486

Truth or dare.....................?

It sounds the most tedious job one could imagine (I've been a CSCS adjudicator previosly and it bored my to within inches of my life)

WatsonD  
#8 Posted : 24 May 2019 12:37:42(UTC)
WatsonD

Sadly Stuart you are unlikely to get a straight answer on this forum, as you can see.

I was previously an NVQ assessor for a local College and found the job very rewarding. My advice is to contact CITB to ask for advice. They will give you the facts from which you can make your own mind up. Also, consider searching for local colleges and private training providers who undertake these roles. A quick google search will give you the information you need in terms of who offers these qualifications and who has vacancies.

When you sign up for the qualifications you have listed, I would ask that you consider attending classes, rather then e-learning for two reasons.

1. Experience of classroom environment and the diverse range of students on the courses.
  2. Contacts within a local college who do the job you aim for.

Good luck!