Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SammyK  
#1 Posted : 26 July 2019 05:04:06(UTC)
SammyK

Morning, It has been brought to my attention that some staff members recently have started to wear their high vis tabbards back to front?! When you go past a certain point in my building the tabbards have to be done up due to FOD therefore the zip is at the back.. Looking at line I cannot find anywhere that stipulates the way high vis has to be worn, and, know they will challenge saying what reg etc says it has to be worn that way.. Any advice please? Tia
ttxela  
#2 Posted : 26 July 2019 08:03:04(UTC)
ttxela

Rather odd.

Is there a reason they choose to wear them backwards?

CptBeaky  
#3 Posted : 26 July 2019 08:03:31(UTC)
CptBeaky

Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992

10 (2) Every employee shall use any personal protective equipment provided to him by virtue of these Regulations in accordance both with any training in the use of the personal protective equipment concerned which has been received by him and the instructions respecting that use which have been provided to him by virtue of regulation 9.

I thank that about covers it.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
SammyK on 26/07/2019(UTC)
SammyK  
#4 Posted : 26 July 2019 09:37:57(UTC)
SammyK

Hello, I know, I think it's really strange, why would you? I'm unsure other than the fact that they wear their baseball caps back to front etc so much be a 'cool thing?' they are quite young lads!

Originally Posted by: ttxela Go to Quoted Post

Rather odd.

Is there a reason they choose to wear them backwards?

Hsquared14  
#5 Posted : 29 July 2019 11:44:09(UTC)
Hsquared14

I find this incredibly bizarre - other than saying that there is guidance saying that the employer must ensure that PPE is used in the manner that it is intended to be used I can't add anything else.  You can also say that the rules are particular to the environment they are working in and that in that context legislation has very little to do with it, if you have identified a particular hazard and risk for which you have a specific control measure then they must comply.