Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Prowse1  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2019 16:55:39(UTC)
Prowse1

Hi all,

I currently work as a self employed Site Manager/ Building Contractor, but looking to move into a full time H&S role. I have secured an interview for a Health and Safety Adviser role with a large construction company and have a few questions. This is my first interview in over 20 years, so if they seem obvious, I apologise...

Is it acceptible to ask to see their Company Health and Safety Policy prior to the interview?

Aside from questions regarding CDP, training and job progression, is there anything else I should be asking? ( Assuming their Company aims have been covered previously)

Is there any way of finding out their H&S record online? I've looked but don't really know where to begin...

Any other advice would also be massively appreciated!

Many thanks,

Prowse1

forestgate2016  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2019 19:49:04(UTC)
forestgate2016

Originally Posted by: Prowse1 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,I currently work as a self employed Site Manager/ Building Contractor, but looking to move into a full time H&S role. I have secured an interview for a Health and Safety Adviser role with a large construction company and have a few questions. This is my first interview in over 20 years, so if they seem obvious, I apologise...Is it acceptible to ask to see theirCompany Health and Safety Policy prior to the interview?Aside from questions regarding CDP, training and job progression, is there anything else I should be asking? ( Assuming their Company aims have been covered previously)Is there any way of finding out their H&S record online? I've looked but don't really know where to begin...Any other advice would also be massively appreciated!Many thanks,Prowse1
Hey Prowse1, that's an interesting line of thought, you should stake out the company's website, some do have their HSE Policies there, you should also read up on construction hazards and risks with their control and preventative measures. Remember the risk assessment is Canon in some organisation.
Prowse1  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2019 20:30:31(UTC)
Prowse1

Hi Forestgate2016, thanks for that. Yes, I've found out as much as I can from their website... their Health and Safety seems pretty solid at a glance. Was wondering what else I could reasonably find out. I'm guessing by your response that I'm probably overthinking things... not unusual!

Thanks again.

forestgate2016  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2019 04:56:30(UTC)
forestgate2016

Originally Posted by: Prowse1 Go to Quoted Post
<p>Hi Forestgate2016, thanks for that. Yes, I've found out as much as I can from their website... their Health and Safety seems pretty solid at a glance. Was wondering what else I could reasonably find out. I'm guessing by your response that I'm probably overthinking things... not unusual!</p><p> </p><p>Thanks again.</p>
You are welcome Prowse1; it's an interview, overthinking and rethinking things while trying to put yourself in the shoes of the employer is expected and encouraged. The first impression is all that matters. Go in there with your confidence at 100%.
RayRapp  
#5 Posted : 31 July 2019 07:53:08(UTC)
RayRapp

I think you are on the right track by researching the organisation i.e. type of contracts they currently have, turnover, office locations, etc.

You don't know in advance what they may ask you but have some possible answers in the back of your mind. For example, why you want to become a safety person, why you want this job, where do you see yourself in the future etc.

Good luck.

Philter  
#6 Posted : 31 July 2019 12:39:47(UTC)
Philter

Hi Prowse

At my last interview I asked them outright what were their top three injurous event types and their TRIR. That opened up a discussion further about the areas they are finding difficult to control and gave me an opportunity to talk around how I would approach the situation.

I also wanted to know what their HSE priorities were for the up coming 12-18months, again gave an opportunity to show knowledge on what they were looking at doing and me showing how I could fit.

It worked been here a few months now and really enjoying it. Hope it helps and good luck for the interview, I'm sure you will smash it!!

MrBrightside  
#7 Posted : 31 July 2019 13:59:40(UTC)
MrBrightside

Hi

First off well done! Sounds like you have done your research which is good because you will get asked what you know about the company. Make sure you know your CV inside out!

You already work in Construction so thats your biggest strength. Any questions you get asked, try and relate back to something you have done (doesnt have to have been at work). Real life examples always go down well, how you overcome an issue or got your message across.

Don't be afraid to show any lack of knowledge. We don't know it all, so don't bluff it just say that you know where to get the information from: HSE Website etc.

On my last interview I took an Ipad and showed copies of SSOW, Posters, Safety Presentations on KPI's I had done. Anything visual you can take along to back up what you are talking about will go really well in your favour. It's not something many people do and it shows you can do what you are saying.

Good Luck and I hope it goes well.

SBH  
#8 Posted : 31 July 2019 21:50:46(UTC)
SBH

You can view the prosecutions section on the HSE websiteto see if there are any convictions SBH
Mark-W  
#9 Posted : 06 August 2019 10:01:13(UTC)
Mark-W

Last formal interview I attneded was for a charity. I downloaded their most recent annual report. Learnt all the stats, locations of properties, what initiatives they had undertaken in the previous 12 months. Spent a couple of weeks learning it all.

Came to interview, I had to conduct a RA of their kitchen area and then a 45min interview. It was conducted by Ops Director and a member of frontline staff.

They seemed more interested in my military career and where I'd been than about the work.

The only bit I really remember about the interview, it was mid December and the Ops Director had a christmas jumper on. Everything else was a blur.

I got the job and lasted 3 yrs before I left.