Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bami016  
#1 Posted : 07 August 2019 04:07:34(UTC)
Bami016

Good day all,

Am preparing to have my CMIOSH this year, i have register but do not know what materials or book to read in readiness of the open book assessment.

Please is there anyone that could advice on the book or materials one could use to prepare for the open book assessment of CMIOSH. Your response will be highly apprectiated 

Thanks 

Bami 

stretch89  
#2 Posted : 13 September 2019 14:45:25(UTC)
stretch89

Hi i am undertaking this at the moment, the way i found helpfull is to use the sylabus and mark of what you know. Then do some research into the areas you are unfamilliar with.  This gave me alot less to try and remember.

bxuxa  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2019 20:39:52(UTC)
bxuxa

I will not advise any book in particular.

Just read the syllabus and google your weakness and manage the time during the exam. 

Part B is different. 

elsanlapidante_hse  
#4 Posted : 14 September 2019 06:57:54(UTC)
elsanlapidante_hse

Hi, Im currently working on with my SDP. Correct me if Im wrong, once through with that next will CDP audit then finally, panel interview. This CMIOSH Open Book Assessment I dont have any idea about this, can someone help me to understand this subject. Will be appreciate your response. Thanks

mihai_qa  
#5 Posted : 15 September 2019 08:54:41(UTC)
mihai_qa

Originally Posted by: elsanlapidante_hse Go to Quoted Post

Hi, Im currently working on with my SDP. Correct me if Im wrong, once through with that next will CDP audit then finally, panel interview. This CMIOSH Open Book Assessment I dont have any idea about this, can someone help me to understand this subject. Will be appreciate your response. Thanks

That depends on your route. If you're doing SDP that means you have a level 6 qual as opposed ot the NVQ/NCRQ(?) route that would require the Electronic assement.

Ala'a (Qatar Branch Memeber) holds regular CPD/IPD events in CNAQ (College of the North Atlantic). Follow the branch on LinkedIn and join them on a Friday. They might help give you a better understanding of the process. Plus, you'll get to network with some fun people.

Aleksandra  
#6 Posted : 27 February 2020 15:59:47(UTC)
Aleksandra

Originally Posted by: Bami016 Go to Quoted Post

Good day all,

Am preparing to have my CMIOSH this year, i have register but do not know what materials or book to read in readiness of the open book assessment.

Please is there anyone that could advice on the book or materials one could use to prepare for the open book assessment of CMIOSH. Your response will be highly apprectiated 

Thanks 

Bami 

Hi Bami,

Finally, how did you manage with the preparations for your EOA? Thanks

thanks 1 user thanked Aleksandra for this useful post.
martin paul jones on 27/02/2020(UTC)
danpelayo  
#7 Posted : 17 March 2020 03:05:20(UTC)
danpelayo

Good day all,

Thanks 

Bami 

I'm preparing for my CMIOSH. 

geometry dash

HarberCandelario  
#8 Posted : 24 December 2020 08:14:49(UTC)
HarberCandelario

Good day all,

Thanks 

Bami 

I also prepared CMIOSH just like you

Rgarcia  
#9 Posted : 26 December 2020 00:36:16(UTC)
Rgarcia

Hi all, Hope you are well. Just I want to share my frustation on getting Chartered memership with IOSH. Few years ago issued my qualifications to ISOH which were recognized in the UK (I got MSc in Health & Safety from Spain) and IOSH gave me straight forward GradIOSH . It was a frustating surprise that I needed to go through SDP, the Open Assessment and the Peer interview to get Chartered when I registered 18 months ago for the IPD process, my question is WHY?. I have more than 15 years of experience in construction and h&S in Spain and y the last 8 years in the UK. I have the right qualification, an university degree in Construction Management and then a MSc Degree in H&S, is that not enough?. I do understand that different countries play with different regulations and laws in terms of H&S (that I am learning since I landed in the UK) but, you learn this on the field and being exposed on scenarios on site. I just completed my SPD with the seven Element Criteria and now I need to go throug the Open Assessment?, Haven't I demostrated to IOSH completing my SDP that I can get Chartered after passing the peer interview?.I just don' get why and I am too fustrated, maybe the solution will be stay with my Grad IOSH, end of the history?!! Please share your thoughs if you wish. Thanks Roberto
bxuxa  
#10 Posted : 26 December 2020 21:33:55(UTC)
bxuxa

Originally Posted by: Rgarcia Go to Quoted Post
Hi all, Hope you are well. Just I want to share my frustation on getting Chartered memership with IOSH. Few years ago issued my qualifications to ISOH which were recognized in the UK (I got MSc in Health & Safety from Spain) and IOSH gave me straight forward GradIOSH . It was a frustating surprise that I needed to go through SDP, the Open Assessment and the Peer interview to get Chartered when I registered 18 months ago for the IPD process, my question is WHY?. I have more than 15 years of experience in construction and h&S in Spain and y the last 8 years in the UK. I have the right qualification, an university degree in Construction Management and then a MSc Degree in H&S, is that not enough?. I do understand that different countries play with different regulations and laws in terms of H&S (that I am learning since I landed in the UK) but, you learn this on the field and being exposed on scenarios on site. I just completed my SPD with the seven Element Criteria and now I need to go throug the Open Assessment?, Haven't I demostrated to IOSH completing my SDP that I can get Chartered after passing the peer interview?.I just don' get why and I am too fustrated, maybe the solution will be stay with my Grad IOSH, end of the history?!! Please share your thoughs if you wish. Thanks Roberto

Hi Roberto, 

I was in a similar position, Portuguese qualification but only asked for the open assessment.

The first part, you can do it in 2 hours or so, and the 2nd part is to be done in one week. That's it.

After that, just get ready for the interview and keep the CPD updated.

Your place is as Chartered.

martynp1000  
#11 Posted : 27 December 2020 11:09:46(UTC)
martynp1000

To clarify, there are 3 main routes to move from Graduate to Chartered Member (other routes may apply in exceptional circumstances) :

1. Degree or diploma in occupational safety and health > Skills development portfolio > Peer review interview
  2. Vocational qualification in occupational safety and health practice at Level 4 or diploma at Level 5 > Open assessment > Peer review interview
  3. Cognate qualification > Skills development portfolio > Open assessment > Peer review interview

and they are explained in better detail in the "Join Us" brochure available as a .pdf download here >join-us-booklet.pdf (iosh.com).  Put in simple terms, if your learning was through vocational experience then you will be tested on your Health and Safety knowledge and your research skills through the Open Assessment as you have already completed a vocational portfolio of your experiences.  Whereas, if your learning was through "educational routes" (my words, not a professional description) then you will be tested on your practical experiences via the Initial Development Portfolio as you havent already produced an evidence portfolio.  Note that all routes require a Peer Review Interview.

The Professional Deelopment team is always willing to discuss / explain these options in better detail than I can here.

Martyn

Edited by user 27 December 2020 11:11:20(UTC)  | Reason: correction of typos

peter gotch  
#12 Posted : 27 December 2020 12:16:19(UTC)
peter gotch

Roberto, Bxuxa

If you are in the UK, then I suggest you get in touch with your local Branch who should have at least one Member designated to help those climbing the IOSH ladder.

Roberto - IOSH won't take account of your degree in Construction Management in relation to assessing your IOSH grading and it might be that you have yet to show that enough of your experience is sufficiently aligned to providing health and safety advice. 

Have a look at the booklet that Martyn pointed you to and then consider how your CV (and IPD/SDP/CPD records reflect the amount of time that your role is devoted to considering health and safety issues - this might need a bit of artistic licence as you may well see H&S as an integrated part of your wider day job - so, if as example, your job involves assigning trades to tasks on construction sites, checking that appropriate risk assessment documentation is in place might seem to you [and me] to be "just part of the job" - you need to try and work out what %age of your time is dealing with that part).

Good luck and I suggest you try and accelerate this before the proposed Membership restructuring comes into effect - due sometime in the Spring.

P

Edited by user 27 December 2020 12:17:40(UTC)  | Reason: Clarification

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
bxuxa on 27/12/2020(UTC)
bxuxa  
#13 Posted : 27 December 2020 16:56:18(UTC)
bxuxa

@Peter

That was exactly what I did.

I got in contact with my local branch when building the pat for CMIOSH.

My local branch also has a IPD Linkedin group.