Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bibbin  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2019 11:52:23(UTC)
Bibbin

Hi

I have a NEBOSH gen cert in H&S with 20 years experience to go with it.   

I am not getting any younger but want to get a higher qualification.   I don't do very well with exams so the diploma is a no no.  I'm also not keen on doing a Masters as this is more theory based I believe and I'm not sure it would be my thing.

I looked at OCRQ but a requirement is for the learner to be placed at the top of the organisational tree (with budgetary responsibility), I am almost at the bottom in my organisation (very strange set up).

Do you have any advice/guidance please?

WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2019 15:01:03(UTC)
WatsonD

When you say OCRQ, do you mean NVQ?

From what I can see NCRQ is the best route for you.

Too many abbreviations, but at least it rhymes

George_Young  
#3 Posted : 09 August 2019 16:18:13(UTC)
George_Young

if you are no good at exams, then as WatsonD has stated, NCRQ is perhaps the best route and does not require any input from your work.

Getting on an MSc program will be difficult unless you already have a level 6 cert (or 5 for some courses).

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2019 11:19:33(UTC)
peter gotch

Depending on your role, then possibly an NVQ would be an option. Case of doing your job and showing how this covers all the aspects in the various topics you would need to address in a Vocational Qual.

Might need you to demand opportunities to do some new things, which would be beneficial to both your employer and you, but would require a recognition of this by your employer.

Edited by user 10 August 2019 13:58:25(UTC)  | Reason: Amended

Bibbin  
#5 Posted : 12 August 2019 08:59:44(UTC)
Bibbin

Hi, thank you for your advice, especially WatsonD - love the rhyme :-)