Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Martin Fieldingt  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2020 12:07:26(UTC)
Martin Fieldingt

Hi everyone,

I am after advise on whether to take on NCRQ L6 in H&S or the NVQ L6? I was in the armed forces for 22yrs as an aircraft engineer before my 20yr career in H&S as a H&S manager, Group H&S Manager, H&S Adviser. I am obviously late in years but I am interested in gaining a higher level qualification (I have NEBOSH Cert taken 17 years ago and lots of differing experience including delivering IOSH & CIEH H&S courses).

Your advise would be most welcome.

Martin

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2020 12:11:23(UTC)
George_Young

I have completed the NCRQ diploma, I fully enjoyed it and found the tutors very helpful and I would happily consider doing another NCRQ course in the future if any more are released.

At first, NCRQ was not well known with recruiters and employers, but now it is gaining popularity.

I can not comment on the NVQ as I have never looked into it.

thanks 1 user thanked George_Young for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 23/09/2020(UTC)
Todai  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2020 12:31:17(UTC)
Todai

Originally Posted by: Martin Fieldingt Go to Quoted Post

Hi everyone,

I am after advise on whether to take on NCRQ L6 in H&S or the NVQ L6? I was in the armed forces for 22yrs as an aircraft engineer before my 20yr career in H&S as a H&S manager, Group H&S Manager, H&S Adviser. I am obviously late in years but I am interested in gaining a higher level qualification (I have NEBOSH Cert taken 17 years ago and lots of differing experience including delivering IOSH & CIEH H&S courses).

Martin

Do what most suits your learning style, can you give evidence for the NVQ at work or will you have to home study.  Reality in qualifications terms; nobody really cares these days except a few 'older' safety people who love Nebosh. Truth is tho as you know; you don't get any exemtpions for being poor at your job because you've undertaken qualfications A,B or C 

thanks 1 user thanked Todai for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 23/09/2020(UTC)
peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 23 September 2020 19:19:31(UTC)
peter gotch

Martin

Whilst you haven't set out what sort of organisations you are and have worked for since leaving the Forces, my guess is that you should have access to enough evidence from your employment to make putting together an NVQ portfolio relatively easy (subject to whatever security constraints you might have).

As an older (health and) safety person (me not you!), I reckon that either NVQ or NCRQ is probably a more sensible option than NEBOSH where you would have to revise NEBOSHspeak. 

Good luck, Peter

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 24/09/2020(UTC)
LouiseSmith88  
#5 Posted : 24 September 2020 09:40:42(UTC)
LouiseSmith88

Hi Martin,

I am currently studying the NCRQ Diploma and I am throughroughly enjoying the whole experience - its engaging, thought provoking and much moreof a real life pragmatic approach that I personnaly found NEBOSH to be.  The support they offer behind the scenes is second to none as well - I cant compare to NVQ level 6 but I do think NCRQ are making waves in the education world of H&S!

Good luck with which ever route you choose!

Louise

thanks 1 user thanked LouiseSmith88 for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 24/09/2020(UTC)
alexroetter  
#6 Posted : 08 October 2020 07:15:12(UTC)
alexroetter

Originally Posted by: Martin Fieldingt Go to Quoted Post

Hi everyone,

Martin

Good luck with which ever route you chose!

thanks 1 user thanked alexroetter for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 08/10/2020(UTC)
Brian Hagyard  
#7 Posted : 09 October 2020 08:15:04(UTC)
Brian Hagyard

Another older H&S person here and i would not recommend NEBOSH as a 1st choice to anyone. I have a collegue undertaking the NCRQ L6 and i have been very impressed with the support they provide. Have undertaken NVQ qualification and as others have said you have to be involved in the work to produce the evidance. Good Luck

thanks 1 user thanked Brian Hagyard for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 09/10/2020(UTC)
Martin Fieldingt  
#8 Posted : 09 October 2020 08:55:31(UTC)
Martin Fieldingt

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have been a Health & Safety Manager/Group H&S Manager or Adviser for the last 19 years since leaving the RAF and currently employed as an advisor in a large food packing and distribution business. I have previous experience as H&S in Print, College (Coordinating and delivering CIEH & IOSH Courses), H&S for Complex needs school and college, and Group H&S for a National Fertility Clinic Group. I am sure I could come up with the evidence for an NVQ as long as the support was there. I have heard good things about NCRQ, but at 62 not sure it would worh it for me. It is more for personal satisfaction than future employment to be honest.

thanks 1 user thanked Martin Fieldingt for this useful post.
peter gotch on 12/10/2020(UTC)
caraiosh  
#9 Posted : 02 February 2021 11:29:02(UTC)
caraiosh

hiya, 

sorry to ambush your conversation, i am in a similar position, completed my NEBOSH cert a while ago. I need to be a GRADIOSH for my new job and my employer is willing to pay the fees :). I was going to go with the NCRQ but i cannot seem to get an answer as to whether this will qualify me for GRADIOSH status or not??

would really appreciate the help with this

martynp1000  
#10 Posted : 02 February 2021 12:17:59(UTC)
martynp1000

Originally Posted by: caraiosh Go to Quoted Post

i cannot seem to get an answer as to whether this will qualify me for GRADIOSH status or not??

Have you looked at the "Join Us" brochure available as a .pdf download here >join-us-booklet.pdf (iosh.com).  

In my experience the Professional Development team is always willing to discuss / explain these options in better detail than I can here though like many of us they are working under difficult circumstances at the moment - an email might be better than a phone call.

Martyn

thanks 1 user thanked martynp1000 for this useful post.
caraiosh on 10/02/2021(UTC)
Brian Hagyard  
#11 Posted : 02 February 2021 12:45:30(UTC)
Brian Hagyard

Originally Posted by: caraiosh Go to Quoted Post

hiya, 

sorry to ambush your conversation, i am in a similar position, completed my NEBOSH cert a while ago. I need to be a GRADIOSH for my new job and my employer is willing to pay the fees :). I was going to go with the NCRQ but i cannot seem to get an answer as to whether this will qualify me for GRADIOSH status or not??

it was on the list as a qualifying level 6 qualification before they started the gradeing structure review. Until the fine details are published for the new structure it will be difficult to get a definative answer.

thanks 1 user thanked Brian Hagyard for this useful post.
paul reynolds  
#12 Posted : 03 February 2021 13:13:52(UTC)
paul reynolds

Look at your learning preference, NVQ is great if you can compile evidence and explain how this meets the unit requirements. I done my NVQ over 10 years ago and really enjoyed it.

thanks 1 user thanked paul reynolds for this useful post.