Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Wardy537@hotmail.com  
#1 Posted : 20 April 2021 08:19:47(UTC)
Wardy537@hotmail.com

Hello,

I am hoping that someone could help with a section on the PASMA mobile app that i was unaware of , please see below Q&A direct from the PASMA app. 

I have always known it as, anyone in a work group can climb a mobile tower if there is one person who is PASMA trained within that work group who supervises the work etc. it seems this guidance has changed, can anyone shed light on when this was changed? 

Q Can a person who isn't PASMA trained help build or use a tower? 

A You can gain assistance from a person who does not hold a valid PASMA card if they remain on the ground and are only passing up and helping take down equipment and material. The assistant should not build, dismantle or climb the tower in any shape or form because the PASMA trained operative is not qualified to supervise or instruct anybody.

Thank you.

Edited by user 20 April 2021 08:29:42(UTC)  | Reason: added information

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 20 April 2021 10:01:59(UTC)
peter gotch

Wardy

My starting point would be that there is no specific legal requirement that those erecting and dismantling aluminium tower scaffolds should be PASMA trained, though that has become the benchmark.

However, I think that perhaps the guidance on the app you refer to is ambiguous. Perhaps it was intended to apply to those climbing a tower during erection or dismantling - i.e. who can and cannot undertake scaffolding operations, rather than who can or cannot use a scaffold.

However well scaffolding operations are controlled, they involve some risks that those only using a scaffold (or any type) should not be exposed to.

achrn  
#3 Posted : 20 April 2021 13:37:30(UTC)
achrn

I would agree, I've not previously heard of PASMA as being a requirement to use an erected tower.

However, PASMA itself says "There is a specific PASMA training course available for persons who will only be working from mobile towers but who are not building or dismantling, adjusting or moving them."  https://pasma.co.uk/faqs/training-faq/

Seems PASMA is trying to expand its influence.