Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sweekes75  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2021 14:56:36(UTC)
sweekes75

I appreciate most posts on this forum are concerned with people looking to get into and progress within H&S.  However, I find myself on the other end of the spectrum exploring opportunities to get out of working in H&S into something else.  I've been fortunate enough to have 10 successful and enjoyable years as an HSEQ Manager in the construction, waste management and automotive related industries working at a senior management level.  I suppose I'm asking very generally in what type of roles might one use the skills and experience gained?  What do you consider transferable?

I know this is a bit vague and I'm not expecting specific career advice.  I'm just mulling it over and would be interested to hear from others what their career ambitions are?

For context, I also have prior experience in commercial/business development roles and an MBA.  Could a jump to a General Manager role be realistic?

Gavin Gibson  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2021 07:59:49(UTC)
Gavin Gibson

I started in engineering, am in safety and have worked in multiple industries, in multiple countries. Any competent company should look beyonsd the qualifications to the experience of the individual. Yes you can move to General Management, but I suggest you consider the technical knowlege required. Emphasize what you bring to the party, not ehat you do not have.

good luck.

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2021 10:00:55(UTC)
peter gotch

SW - it has been done and your previous experience in Business Development might be a way in, particularly if part of your role in HSE has been in supporting bids and prequals.